Help me find a coop!

Celeste Cannon

Songster
5 Years
Jan 15, 2018
Los Angeles, California
Does anyone have any recommendations for free built chicken coops? Mine are completely falling apart, I plan on designing and building my dream coop however I want a temporary home for my flock while I'm working it.
My wants for the coop are:
  • Mobile
  • 1 coop that Can hold 15 chickens OR two coops to hold 7 chickens
  • won't fall apart!!!
  • Pre made so I can put together ASAP
  • includes nesting boxes
I don't mind price but i’m going to try and stay under $800. Please attach links of you know of any, i’d like to get it ASAP. I’ll attach pics of their current housing situation :hit I’m also asking for a hardy one because I plan on having a little farm in the future where I’ll want multiple coops ;).

Attachments

• 29DD8D65-AD8A-4C01-931C-94BA0AFD785E.jpeg
    29DD8D65-AD8A-4C01-931C-94BA0AFD785E.jpeg
    893.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 6895290D-9EE8-4162-AC33-E0961A2D5BC3.jpeg
    6895290D-9EE8-4162-AC33-E0961A2D5BC3.jpeg
    544 KB · Views: 10
  • 4EE45E45-445C-4F6C-9E9D-8C3849DEB569.jpeg
    4EE45E45-445C-4F6C-9E9D-8C3849DEB569.jpeg
    449.5 KB · Views: 9
  • DB015442-E75E-4D72-A85F-899D8709D5D8.jpeg
    DB015442-E75E-4D72-A85F-899D8709D5D8.jpeg
    953.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Mobile
  • 1 coop that Can hold 15 chickens OR two coops to hold 7 chickens
Those two things don't really go together, even two 7 chicken sized coops might be hard to move unless you have a tractor or ATV...and the ground is fairly smooth.
How often do you plan on moving them?

Last edited:
cant tell ya what to do really, but i built current one from wood and metal from scrap piles on my dads farm .. its getting there, and about 13 years old at this point, i can see it holding up a couple more years .. 'mobile' is relative ... nothing that is big enough for 15 birds is going to be mobile without a tractor and maybe a car trailer, my '8 bird model' i had to set in place with a tractor bucket and chain .. anyway, i could build again and expand and set things up to better suit what ive learned over the years but im thinking at this point that maybe, if i can come up with something used and get help with transport, that a decent shed might be a beautiful option for my girls ... it will need some interior setup, and i'd like to have its own water line and electirc in it .. but yeah .. just an idea to throw at ya .. it would be as mobile as sheds go .. they come in all sizes and price ranges and best of all no having to build it lol ....

Hose two things don't really go together, even two 7 chicken sized coops might be hard to move unless you have a tractor or ATV...and the ground is fairly smooth.
How often do you plan on moving them?
I guess I don’t plan on moving them much, I could just take them apart again when I’m done.

You will not be able to find a prefab chicken coop to fit 15, or 7 chickens. Please show me if you can. You could see if anyone around you does custom builds-it's pricier but gets you a good prebuilt coop. Usually pretty heavy, though. As @aart said, coops large enough for that number of birds will be hard to move.

I guess I don’t plan on moving them much, I could just take them apart again when I’m done.
Then build in a way that would allow taking it apart, tricky but can be done.
Still wall, and especially roof sections, will still be a bear to move.
Use screws as fasteners, of course.

You can build a coop that you can eventually dismantle if you plan on moving. But it might be difficult but doable.

is your hutch from New Age Pet ecochoice chicken barn?

I don't know where you live in Los Angeles, but generally we don't have what the folks in the rest of the country call "winter." According to my fruit trees, we go straight from fall into spring.

Granted, I am very coastal Los Angeles, so my micro climate is even more temperate than further inland. But I had 3 bantam cochins who lived to be 10 years old and their "coop" was nothing but a 3 sided roofed shelter (with roosts and nest box) inside a predator-proof run. I don't think you actually need a traditional coop here as long as you have a solid run.

Look up open air coops. This is a recent build in Texas and is huge, but it has some great ideas that can be scaled down.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/texas-coop-build-pic-heavy.1371038/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom