1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help me identify my chicks please!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by beautifulpirate, Mar 12, 2016.

1. beautifulpirate

beautifulpirate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    We went to tractor Supply today to get our first chicks (yay!). Anyway, I wanted a bit of variety so I know we got 2 each of the sex links, welsummers and Rhode island reds. But I don't know how to tell the difference since we got them home. Any help is appreciated.[​IMG][/IMG].

[​IMG]

2. RGreenfamily

RGreenfamily Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2015
    I seriously barely know anything. But, mine- that look like RIR- look like your dark striped ones.

3. beautifulpirate

beautifulpirate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016

I suspected the darkest ones of being RIR because I vaguely remember having some when we were kids. But wasn't sure. Hoping for more confirmation on it [​IMG]

4. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    The lightest color chicks are your sex-links, the ones with the dark stripes are your welsummers, and the ones with dark orange backs are the RIRs

5. baford7105

baford7105 New Egg

Mar 12, 2016

6. baford7105

baford7105 New Egg

Mar 12, 2016
    I have two that look like the sex link. Their feathers on their wing are coming in white. Does that sound right or are they something else?

7. Anira

Anira Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    This is correct.

8. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

Could be. My sex links have white wing feathers and are red over their shoulders, head, and partway down their backs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by