Help me identify something.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Indiana Gallina's, Apr 16, 2009.

  1. Indiana Gallina's

    Indiana Gallina's Out Of The Brooder

    Apr 7, 2008
    Muncie, IN
    I am trying to figure out what something that is called that I have seen on a few posts. They are cement and are made for 2x4s to rest in to keep the keep a few inches off the ground. I would like to get some of these to add on to my coop. Thanks so much. I unfortunately cant find any of the pictures I saw the other day.
  2. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

    Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

    Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    Cinder blocks??
  3. patandchickens

    patandchickens Flock Mistress

    Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't honestly know what their Official Technical Name is (footer blocks?) but if you go to Home Depot or whatever and say, "I need some of those things taht are like cinderblocks sort of, but have slots in which to rest the posts or sills of a small shed", they will know exactly what you mean and be able to sell it to you [​IMG]

    You probably want to use something bigger than 2x4s though.

    Good luck,

  4. Indiana Gallina's

    Indiana Gallina's Out Of The Brooder

    Apr 7, 2008
    Muncie, IN
    I think they are made maybe of the same material but they have grooves in the top that form a plus sign for the boards to rest in.
  5. G Wiz Ranch

    G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
  6. lunatic

    lunatic Out Of The Brooder

    You can buy metal brackets that you set in concrete. The brackets have holes in them so you can put a wood post in and bolt them in. This is very useful if you live in a wet/cold climate because eventually all wood rots and will have to be replaced and you don't want to have to bust up concrete to get a post out or replace it.

    As mentioned above you can also buy cinderblocks with the metal bracket already in it.
  7. Indiana Gallina's

    Indiana Gallina's Out Of The Brooder

    Apr 7, 2008
    Muncie, IN
    The ones I say the other day were actually molded with groves in the top of the block the shape of it was exactly like that one though. but with a plus grooves in the top of it

    This is what it would look like looking at the top.
    | | | |
    |___| |___|
    |___ ___|
    | | | |
  8. DarkWolf

    DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

    Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Deck Blocks or Deck Piers.

    Crappy picture:

    They're cast so that 2" dimensional lumber can fit in them, or a 4x4 post can rest in the center.

    You local Lowes or Home Depot will have them. Both will most likely be where the rest of the cinder blocks are.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  9. Guitartists

    Guitartists Resistance is futile

    Mar 21, 2008
    Those seem very smart and easy...any downside to them?
  10. Chickenfortress

    Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 8, 2008
    Quote:Yes, they're prone to shifting, and a bit difficult to level. All in all, though, they are a good choice for the do it yourselfer working on an impermanent structure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by