Help me identify something.

Indiana Gallina's

Chirping
14 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Muncie, IN
I am trying to figure out what something that is called that I have seen on a few posts. They are cement and are made for 2x4s to rest in to keep the keep a few inches off the ground. I would like to get some of these to add on to my coop. Thanks so much. I unfortunately cant find any of the pictures I saw the other day.

I don't honestly know what their Official Technical Name is (footer blocks?) but if you go to Home Depot or whatever and say, "I need some of those things taht are like cinderblocks sort of, but have slots in which to rest the posts or sills of a small shed", they will know exactly what you mean and be able to sell it to you
smile.png

You probably want to use something bigger than 2x4s though.

Good luck,

Pat

You can buy metal brackets that you set in concrete. The brackets have holes in them so you can put a wood post in and bolt them in. This is very useful if you live in a wet/cold climate because eventually all wood rots and will have to be replaced and you don't want to have to bust up concrete to get a post out or replace it.

As mentioned above you can also buy cinderblocks with the metal bracket already in it.

The ones I say the other day were actually molded with groves in the top of the block the shape of it was exactly like that one though. but with a plus grooves in the top of it

This is what it would look like looking at the top.
| | | |
|___|__|___|

Deck Blocks or Deck Piers.

Crappy picture:
82249-main_Full.jpg

They're cast so that 2" dimensional lumber can fit in them, or a 4x4 post can rest in the center.

You local Lowes or Home Depot will have them. Both will most likely be where the rest of the cinder blocks are.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, they're prone to shifting, and a bit difficult to level. All in all, though, they are a good choice for the do it yourselfer working on an impermanent structure.

Back
Top Bottom