Help me keep my hatchlings alive (I've failed at this part in the past)

Im use a old large aquarium as a brooder right now have another set up in shop but my aquarium inside measures 7ftx3ftx3ft and I out marbles in the waterer to keep my chickies from drowning I for keep a digital thermometer in it so I can measure heat and all I'd well sry about your hatch so far :-(

Yes to starter feed. Water is available. I have the lid with some but also have a rabbit water bottle hanging. It's shown some interest in the rabbit bottle so hopefully I can stop the lid soon. Eggs came from a neighbor and are all mixed breed. I've just got paper bags down as bedding for now. Will switch it out later. No idea what my brooder temp is. I have the lamp pointing one direction. So far the chick is laying near the light but not under it (Yes I've still got it in the 10 gallon tank).

Put the chick in a large box, plastic storage container, anything bigger. You can lock your dogs out of a room for the chick to survive.

Now for the part I quoted in your post in red.

You need a thermometer. Put it where the light shines in at, take temp. Move it to the side of the light and take temp. Then move it to the edge of the box and take temp. What kind of lamp do you have? Is it a heat lamp? Or is it just a house lamp?

Last edited:
I tend to agree with the thermometer advice. I've used candy thermometers and those remote outdoor sensors before. The key is so you know the temp under the light. Aim for 95F the first week, then 5 degrees lower each week after that. Adjust the height of the lamp if the temp is wrong or if your chick is not milling around comfortably. FYI, it will be easier to gauge the temperature if you have lots of chicks. They huddle, or avoid the heat if they're too cold or hot, respectively.

I need ur help friends so urgent,I bought 100 chicks 50 broilers 40 cockrel and 10 layesr and place them and feed them with 24% protain 2 weeks ago now,20 of my broilers are dead now pls what can I use to stop the dieases?

With high rates like that you may want to get a necropsy done on a few of the birds. I've only ever lost one chick- due to pasty but. So now it's something I look for in every hatch.

At this point I'd question the health of the parent birds in question.

Have you thoroughly disinfected your brooder? There may be something in there causing issues.

I tend to keep my chicks at 95 for a week and decrease 10 degrees a week down to 65 degrees- my basement temperature.

Glass marbles are good for putting in water to prevent drowning. Quail waterers are also very narrow and a good option.

I, personally, don't use a thermometer. The chicks will tell you if they're hot or cold (as far away from the light as possible and panting= too hot, huddles under the heat lamp and loud chirping= too cold. If your brooder is large enough for the chicks to get out from under the lamp, it doesn't really matter what temp it is under it (as long as it doesn't cook them or isn't too cool, obviously).

Habvin- we need more details. Were all of those chicks brooded together? If so, how big is their brooder and how many heat sources are in (if only 1 for that many chicks, they could be piling under in and squishing whoever is at the bottom, or they could be too hot)? Do they have food and water available at all times? Dirty bottoms? You seem to think they have an illness, do they have any strange symptoms?

Last edited:
I, personally, don't use a thermometer. The chicks will tell you if they're hot or cold (as far away from the light as possible and panting= too hot, huddles under the heat lamp and loud chirping= too cold. If your brooder is large enough for the chicks to get out from under the lamp, it doesn't really matter what temp it is under it (as long as it doesn't cook them or isn't too cool, obviously).
Yeah, but it's a good idea for beginning and intermediate chick raisers, or someone having problems, to use a thermometer.

Get a better brooder. Even a large plastic storage tub from walmart will work. Shavings on the bottom. As others have said, make sure the chick can move away from the heat lamp. If it's the 250 watt kind it can get very very hot in a small space. Raise it up higher if thats all you have. Most important, get better water dish. A mason jar lid will not supply enough water for the day with chicks. You must not let them run out of water! And same with feed. Let them eat all they want. But never let them run out of water. I hope the little one gets a hatch mate.

Hello everyone. Sorry I've been gone. I had a human child emergency that's occupied me for a week. Anyway, I have a ton of eggs hatching out now. The lone hatch from the other clutch is doing great. Looks like I've figured out how not to kill them. I am using a rabbit water bottle and it's working great!

Back
Top Bottom