Help me make my daughter's pet chicken better!

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I have been battling sickness in my Houdan pullet for weeks now. These are the symptoms, all of them are off and on:

-runny nose
-watery eye
-puffed up, drooping head
-watery poop
-lethargic, sleepy

They all come and go. The bird also got a bad case of lice recently, which I treated with Sevin dust. The eggs are still on her neck, but I've used enough Sevin on her to give myself cancer, so the lice has to be dead!

I've been giving her Tylan. As soon as I stop giving it to her, the next day she'll be sickly again. Now she's sickly even with the Tylan. She still eats and drinks, she drinks way more than the other birds actually. She also takes a few drops of poly-vi-sol every day on the beak. Today she is puffed up, lethargic, and she has ragged feathers. She keeps lifting her head and opening her mouth to breathe, then drooping her head again while she's sleeping. Her nose isn't runny today and I don't hear any rattling when she breathes. I've got her isolated, inside next to me. This is my toddler's beloved pet bird, I really don't want to lose her! What else can I do to make her better? I'm going to the feed store tomorrow afternoon. What should I buy? I've lost several pullets over the past few months, the last one died about three weeks ago this exact same way with the off and on sick, gradually growing weaker, and then progressing to a droopy head and opening the beak to breathe.
sad.png

I hate to even post this, because it is rare, but it sounds a lot like cholera, especially the increased thirst. Do a search on google and on this site to see if the other symptoms match.

You need to get electrolytes/vit and put that her her water to deal with the dehydration ... that is crucial.
As for meds I would suggest you contact Peter Brown from First State Vet supply and ask advice for a med (he can ship out overnite)... put emergency >what med do I need? in the subject line of the email
[email protected]

Back
Top Bottom