Help me modify my coop for cold weather...

ChickenLittle5

Chirping
Mar 24, 2020
TN
The chickens have been in the coop for a couple months, but it is still not completely finished. We had a plan when we started the build, but between the weather and pandemic-driven material shortages, we had to make modifications on the fly. Fortunately, it appears to have worked out well. The ventilation has been great for the summer months. The hen house is no hotter than the outside air. At least it doesn’t “feel” hotter; I haven’t actually measured the temp. I am worried it might be too much for the winter and I might need to close some off; relocate windows; or lower the roosts. Can y’all take a look at the photos and let me know what, if any, modifications I should make for winter? I know winter is a ways off, but I want to get this thing finished! I’m attaching photos along with some sketches with dimensions. I currently have 22 chickens, but 7 are boys and will be leaving 5 will be leaving as soon as I decide which ones. The current roosts are 8’ long; two are 41” high and one is 29” high.

129E13ED-80BC-4CCA-ABF6-35CA11990694.jpeg
037189C5-E535-4460-99D8-82B49401A02D.jpeg
6EAD9FE4-31FD-4F33-A45F-83610D302EDB.jpeg
EA5A8ABA-A824-4EE3-979E-F7500E416A52.jpeg
C6243449-29DF-45B4-AD2C-EBE76DAAA578.jpeg
51C75B87-0368-4364-AFC4-5ECCBF08932B.jpeg
E6FAAFE2-8FB9-40E2-A925-8B4E1BAF1F6B.jpeg

Can y’all take a look at the photos and let me know what, if any, modifications I should make for winter?
How cold does it get where you are...any snow?
Might block off some of the windows in the coop, except where they join with run.
You could use plastic, to preserve light.
Might depend on how the winds blows there...
....block off the windward windows, leave the leeward ones uncovered.

if it was me I would make covers for all the wire parts so that they can either be removed or hunged and opened up this is my coop i have inserts that fit the frame for winter im in Northern Ohio
Thanks for the photo. What do you leave open for ventilation in the winter?
How cold does it get where you are...any snow?
Might block off some of the windows in the coop, except where they join with run.
You could use plastic, to preserve light.
Might depend on how the winds blows there...
....block off the windward windows, leave the leeward ones uncovered.
Sorry, I should have included that in my original post. Temperature typically ranges from low teens to high 80’s. We do get snow, but not all winter long. We built the roof overhangs 18”-24” to help prevent any precipitation from blowing inside. It works well for rain, but I am concerned about blowing snow. We are in the mountains and the wind direction varies. I’m hoping to make covers out of plexiglass so we can quickly un/install them. Of course I haven’t checked availability or prices of plexiglass since the pandemic started, so that might be a long term goal.

Thanks for the photo. What do you leave open for ventilation in the winter?

Sorry, I should have included that in my original post. Temperature typically ranges from low teens to high 80’s. We do get snow, but not all winter long. We built the roof overhangs 18”-24” to help prevent any precipitation from blowing inside. It works well for rain, but I am concerned about blowing snow. We are in the mountains and the wind direction varies. I’m hoping to make covers out of plexiglass so we can quickly un/install them. Of course I haven’t checked availability or prices of plexiglass since the pandemic started, so that might be a long term goal.
The top cube of the front door and the door too the yard

Attachments

• 16006363755878159405969273454813.jpg
    16006363755878159405969273454813.jpg
    895.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 16006364397973510150436317902224.jpg
    16006364397973510150436317902224.jpg
    891.6 KB · Views: 12
The chickens have been in the coop for a couple months, but it is still not completely finished. We had a plan when we started the build, but between the weather and pandemic-driven material shortages, we had to make modifications on the fly. Fortunately, it appears to have worked out well. The ventilation has been great for the summer months. The hen house is no hotter than the outside air. At least it doesn’t “feel” hotter; I haven’t actually measured the temp. I am worried it might be too much for the winter and I might need to close some off; relocate windows; or lower the roosts. Can y’all take a look at the photos and let me know what, if any, modifications I should make for winter? I know winter is a ways off, but I want to get this thing finished! I’m attaching photos along with some sketches with dimensions. I currently have 22 chickens, but 7 are boys and will be leaving 5 will be leaving as soon as I decide which ones. The current roosts are 8’ long; two are 41” high and one is 29” high.

View attachment 2341097View attachment 2341098View attachment 2341100View attachment 2341102View attachment 2341103View attachment 2341105View attachment 2341104
I would leave all of the high open spaces open. Good ventilation is so important and that will let all of the moist air escape above their heads - shouldn't be any hard drafts up there.

I think it looks great as is.

Personally, when is gets close to 30F, I would lower perches so tops of chicken heads are below the wire. Maybe put in brackets so you can put the perches back up high for the summer.

I would have some duct tape and cardboard set aside so if snow starts to blow in just duct tape a bit of cardboard over the problem vent. An empty feed bag would work too, if you dont have a big enough bit of cardboard.

Temperature typically ranges from low teens to high 80’s. We do get snow, but not all winter long. We built the roof overhangs 18”-24” to help prevent any precipitation from blowing inside. It works well for rain, but I am concerned about blowing snow. We are in the mountains and the wind direction varies. I’m hoping to make covers out of plexiglass so we can quickly un/install them.

Your temps aren't bad and with a generous overhang (if it sheds rain well, it'll likely be enough for snow) you likely won't have too much issue if you leave most of it open - anything up high I bet will be fine, anything close to roosts you could put in temporary covers for the worst of the weather. Covers don't have to be snugly fitted or 100% coverage, ideally they'd be either partially open to continue to provide some buffered air flow (like angled out or set slightly away from the actual window to allow some air to escape). Wood or plastic would probably be the longest lasting (through a few seasons) but in a pinch you could use cardboard like Alaskan mentioned or even burlap (as it's breathable).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom