HELP ME! MY ROO IS TRYING TO ATTACK ME!

Guys my Roo (Pickles) has been acting very hormonal since we got back from our holiday.
He was usually very protective of his hens which was great but now he seems to be attacking my family (@PippinTheChicken) and I whenever we go outside (and we aren't acting threatening or going near the hens).

Just a few minutes ago he started chasing me for no reason and he nearly got me! We had to lock him in the kitchen untill he left! It left me shaking!

Guys what can we do? We are currently in the process of re-homing him but what can we do untill we find him a new home? We are fearful as he may also attack our dog or the hens! Please help! 😰😰😰😰😰🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙍🙍🙍🙍
The worst thing you can do is show fear or run.Sorry he didn't work out.

I have a 14 month old rooster, he's a buff Polish named (David) Bowie, that's very good guardian of his flock and not rough on his hens. Some months ago he tried coming at me to attack me, I guess due to finally getting fully mature and his sex hormones kicking in. I immediately searched online and on YouTube on how to deal with an aggressive rooster and found this video by SSLFamilyDad titled "Dealing with an aggressiverooster- How to train a rooster",
and after watching it I went to the yard and when Bowie came to attack me I went after him to catch him, and did to him what's shown on the video after the 10 minute mark. I pinned him to the ground with his face down, holding his body with one hand and with my other hand on the back of his head and neck held his face on the dirt for about a minute or a while after he had stopped struggling, then picked him up, petted him and then released him. He ran away from me and for the rest of the day and the next few days he avoided being near me, moving away when I walked closed by to where he was. After a few days I guess he forgot why he should fear or respect me and he attacked me again, this time scratching my arm with his spurs, so again I went after him, caught him, pinned him to the ground, held his face to the dirt for a couple of minutes, then released him. After that he stayed away from me, moving away when I was near, and months went by with him not attacking me. But the fear faded again, and a few weeks ago he tried to attack jumping at me to try to get me with his spurs which are now very long, but on his 2nd attempt I was able to grab him as he jumped, holding him with both my hands to keep him from breaking lose, then I pinned him to the ground and held his face on the dirt for a while after he stopped struggling, before released him. Since then he hasn't tried attacking me, but I can walk by him without him immediately running away from me. Hopefully he won't try again, but as long as this continues to work and stop him from attacking me, at least for weeks or months, I'll continue to do it, as I don't want to rehome him. Other than those 3 times he's tried to attack me, and tried attacking my aunt (she stopped him with a broom) and her roommate (he likes to tease him), he's a really good, protective rooster.

I recommend to anyone with an aggressive rooster to do what's shown on the video (after the 10 minute mark) immediately after the rooster tries to attack, or any time during the day. Don't wait until nightfall and he's roosting, as he won't know why it's happening and chickens don'tsee well in low light, and after a night's sleep the next day he might forget why he should fear you. It might need to be repeated 2 or 3 times, and every person in the family that wants to be near the chickens might have to do it so that the rooster learns who he should fear and respect.

Here's my handsome Bowie
20210825_184632.jpg

If you find yourselves in this situation again, girls, don't put your concern for the poor rooster's feelings over your safety or the safety of others. Pen the beast up the best you can and if he doesn't like it much, well tough cookies. For now, though, it might be a good idea to set up an adequate bachelor pen or something you can use for one if you ever do have to separate a chicken from the flock for any reason. It might be temporary housing for a sick or injured chicken, for example. You just never know when you might need it.

Now I have a question, just bc I am a bit of a busybody. How did it happen that this roo ended up in the kitchen?

Some peoples actions are seen as threatening by a rooster in which case they'll attack.
If aggressive roosters weren't free ranged in areas where visitors or kids could be attacked it would prevent a lot of attacks.

When I first got my rooster he was a little aggressive doing his aggressive dance and things his calmed down a lot now. He was six months old back then his like eight months now or nine actually..

He use to aggressively mount the hens too even pulled some feathers out there heads he still kinda does that every now an then but slowly stopping or doing it less.

Dunno why some people's roosters just go spazzo but mines gotten calmer and more friendly as times gone by. Sometimes I'd come home and run from the gate to the house and he would see me and come running over and run along side me, wasn't sure if that was him being aggressive or just happy to see me. But what ever!! Roosters are to epic at the end of the day.

Roosters are kinda intelligent I feel because once he was being aggressive with one of the hens pulling her by the neck feathers an wouldn't stop so I hit him with a bit of bamboo (only time I ever done that and it wasn't super hard) he stopped and looked at me like he was shocked and got it.. he knew.

When I first got my rooster he was a little aggressive doing his aggressive dance and things his calmed down a lot now. He was six months old back then his like eight months now or nine actually..

He use to aggressively mount the hens too even pulled some feathers out there heads he still kinda does that every now an then but slowly stopping or doing it less.

Dunno why some people's roosters just go spazzo but mines gotten calmer and more friendly as times gone by. Sometimes I'd come home and run from the gate to the house and he would see me and come running over and run along side me, wasn't sure if that was him being aggressive or just happy to see me. But what ever!! Roosters are to epic at the end of the day.

Roosters are kinda intelligent I feel because once he was being aggressive with one of the hens pulling her by the neck feathers an wouldn't stop so I hit him with a bit of bamboo (only time I ever done that and it wasn't super hard) he stopped and looked at me like he was shocked and got it.. he knew.
I think it’s genetics. Bonni is a Production Red and pretty great, but if you are on the phone he will attack. It’s an easy situation to avoid because I don’t usually free range them. My 3 australorps came from tractor supply (maybe all related), and each one is aggressive. I’ve tried a bunch of things. They are big and dangerous if they want to be. If I tried to pick them up after they attacked, I’d lose an eye. The meanest one was actually the friendliest chicken until suddenly he got his roo hormones and started attacking me. Hosing them when they show aggression has really helped (except Noni who went to freezer camp). I can tell Penguin has respect for me now. I believe I’m no longer a thing that can be fought. It’s very nice. My mom hatched a rooster that is half production red and half Australorp, and I can tell he has some behavioral issues starting. The young roosters I got from a hatchery have shown no aggression so far.

Sometimes the best rooster, with the best confirmation to breed standards, the best vigor and etc., is very aggressive with people or other chickens. I have kept them in separate quarters and bred them as desired. Never let them intimidate you! Use a net or a leg catch pole, if needed and make them eat dirt! Sometimes a "Bad" rooster will turn around and become a great flock bird, if taught to respect you. Sometimes, it is hopeless to get them to be safe with the hens at large. A young rooster sometimes will be clumsy and overly rough at first, but calm down with confidence gained by experience. It is good advice to have a separate shelter/run for roosters or injured hens to be separated from the flock, as necessary. I have had a couple of roosters, that short of killing them, would likely, always be a threat to other people or chickens, but I bred them anyway, with good results, under close and constant, hands on supervision and using hen saddles. I brood, purchased new chicks, at table top level and interact at eye level with them. This seems to make them see me more as the "mother" hen. I peep at them(sometimes more a squawk) and as adults, they all, still are responding, by stopping whatever they are doing and all looking at me. This helps break up unwanted acts by the cockerels, when observed. Good luck with your roosters! BTW, sometimes I have been successful keeping several roosters in the main coop, as long as they were relatively gentle breeds and I have about 7 to 10 hens per rooster, available for their attentions. Seldom, any absolute certainty, with chicken behavior, except they will surprise you at times!

Guys my Roo (Pickles) has been acting very hormonal since we got back from our holiday.
He was usually very protective of his hens which was great but now he seems to be attacking my family (@PippinTheChicken) and I whenever we go outside (and we aren't acting threatening or going near the hens).

Just a few minutes ago he started chasing me for no reason and he nearly got me! We had to lock him in the kitchen untill he left! It left me shaking!

Guys what can we do? We are currently in the process of re-homing him but what can we do untill we find him a new home? We are fearful as he may also attack our dog or the hens! Please help! 😰😰😰😰😰🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙍🙍🙍🙍
He's doing the same to me 😄
He'll calm down hopefully

I have a mean silkie rooster, named Cinder. Only reason he stays, is because he's my only black silkie, & he's cute.

He's my cute jerk. All he does is bite me, no kicking.
I have a 6 yo white silkie named Diablo. He is very naughty but a cutie! He will follow me around the yard for “a walk” when I call him but he likes to jump up and try to kick me. Crazy boy! He has a harem of buff Orpingtons and Americaunas. They all tolerate his dance and being chased around the yard until they either find a hiding place or he catches them. It’s funny watching him “try” to do his thing. Then he jumps off, shakes his feathers and he’s off. Funny little guy and quite the crower!

Back
Top Bottom