Help me pick a breed to start raising plz.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bigspringshatchery, Sep 25, 2010.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I'm wantin to start raising a couple new breeds. I really like oegb and I'm starting to like Phoenixs. I would like to raise both but I just don't have enough pens bc I got rir, barred rock, barred ee, royal palms, blue silkies, and I also got black copper marans, silver Phoenix and oegb on the bator. I tore between the two. Plz help.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. ericsplls

ericsplls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    I really like my oegb. They don't require alot of room handle well and there are so many colors to choose from that you will allways want more. There are also some colors that still need work so if you wanted to start a project you could do that too. I've got some bbreds blue reds and crele in the bator now myself.

3. clintwilson59

clintwilson59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    blanchard, louisiana
    what is a oegb?

4. Lazy W Poultry

Lazy W Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Quote:It is short for Old English Game Bantam.

5. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Old english games are a tough breed to be successful in, there is SO much competition. I have a pair that are more for fun, but are champion bred. so go with the other breed or maybe pic a non popular breed to work on and help their popularity! that's why i chose Duccles!

6. Lazy W Poultry

Lazy W Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Quote:If you like the Barred breeds and are into preservation you may want to look at the Barred Holland it is on the Critical List and needs more breeders to help this old breed survive. When we are looking to get new varieties I look for the ones that need help and go from there if we all do our part we can keep the old breeds going so our Great Great Great Grand kids can enjoy them also.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  7. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    How about a mix?

8. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I love my Phoenix, she is a great mother, and is very intelligent and is a great protector of her babies. We had a skunk in the backyard, and she was sure to let us know! She is also very docile! I ordered her from Ideal 4 yrs ago!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by