Help Me Pick a Breed!

LadybugJen925

Hatching
Mar 22, 2016
Hi! I'm new to the chicken world and need some help.

My husband and I both grew up in the concrete jungle, with no experience on raising or any dealings with farm animals. We live in the city and are looking for some chickens. Here are our hopeful wishes:
Quiet (as much as they could be, we only want hens...NO ROOS)
Not broody
Friendly
Good egg-layer (that's ultimately why we want them)
Hardy (we are in Central NC)
Will do well in confinement

Let me know your thoughts!

Hi! I'm new to the chicken world and need some help.

My husband and I both grew up in the concrete jungle, with no experience on raising or any dealings with farm animals. We live in the city and are looking for some chickens. Here are our hopeful wishes:
Quiet (as much as they could be, we only want hens...NO ROOS)
Not broody
Friendly
Good egg-layer (that's ultimately why we want them)
Hardy (we are in Central NC)
Will do well in confinement

Let me know your thoughts!

Well the noise level is just different from hen to hen, size doesn't really seem to matter with mine! They're only really noisy if they're about to/have just laid an egg. Hybrid's aren't a breed, but they're definitely not broody, and very good egg layers. Not sure how friendly they are as it will probably vary depending on their upbringing. Hybrids tend to be fairly hardy and depending on hybrid should cope okay in confinement. If You want a purebreed then just have a look through the breed section on here and the threads for different breeds? Maybe cream legbars? - I LOVE ours, but we're in the UK so they're fairly cheap for a decent CL. CL do okay in confinement, lay well, lay blue eggs, are quiet (mine are), and they're hardy with a small comb... there's just lots to choose from
lol.png

New Hampshire reds.
They are tough,friendly,good egg layers,and competitive so anybody who wants to pick on them will probably have a long fight in for them.
Sex links.Great egg layers,friendly,and hardy.
Barred rocks are great.Good layers,hardy,and friendly.

Chickens can be loud.I have had hens lay eggs or are preparing and not say a word.Depends on the chickens.Silver laced Wyandotte and Easter Eggers,all make great pets,and are great for laying.

Back
Top Bottom