HELP ME, PLEASE! EMERGENCY

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunhands, Jan 14, 2016.

1. sunhands

sunhands New Egg

Dec 23, 2015
    [​IMG]

Please help me, my red production chicks eye is swollen go a massive size. I've tried everything! Ointments, antibiotics, and nothing! She's eating a little and drinking still... But I don't know how long that will last if the swelling doesn't go down...

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That looks like a big glob of pus in the eye. I would get some saline, tweezers, QTips, and cotton balls, and go to work cleaning the gunk out. Then the eye ointment may work. The thread that Yorkshire coop recommended may be helpful as well.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Welcome to BYC! Pus must be removed.

-Kathy

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

X2.

-Kathy

6. sunhands

sunhands New Egg

Dec 23, 2015
    [​IMG]

Well... this is the outcome.

7. sunhands

sunhands New Egg

Dec 23, 2015
    The swelling went down, but unfortunately she went blind in one eye, but she's still a happy healthy full grown hen that lays a lot of eggs! So there's a bright side.

8. chickengr

chickengr Overrun With Chickens

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    nice to hear that.

I have 2 hens with the same problem and both are good layers. my araucana (blind in 1 eye) about 6 month later had the same infection in the other eye. I fought for 4 days to save her eye and I did. I gave her baytril for 7 days and for the first 4 days I cleaned her eye and put tobradex ointment 4 times a day, the next 3 days 3 times a day then twice a day for the other 4-5 days.

so check your hen regularly as the infection might return. my wyandotte has never had any problem after getting blind. I hope your girl will not.

9. sunhands

sunhands New Egg

Dec 23, 2015
    She got the same infection too, I just haveher antibiotic in her water and ointment in her eye. That's good to hear, I hope they have good health. :)

10. ValleySilkies

ValleySilkies New Egg

Aug 16, 2016
    Emmaus, PA
    Perhaps an infection causing pus or from tick bite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by