HELP ME, PLEASE! EMERGENCY

sunhands

Hatching
Dec 23, 2015

Please help me, my red production chicks eye is swollen go a massive size. I've tried everything! Ointments, antibiotics, and nothing! She's eating a little and drinking still... But I don't know how long that will last if the swelling doesn't go down...

That looks like a big glob of pus in the eye. I would get some saline, tweezers, QTips, and cotton balls, and go to work cleaning the gunk out. Then the eye ointment may work. The thread that Yorkshire coop recommended may be helpful as well.

Please help me, my red production chicks eye is swollen go a massive size. I've tried everything! Ointments, antibiotics, and nothing! She's eating a little and drinking still... But I don't know how long that will last if the swelling doesn't go down...

Welcome to BYC! Pus must be removed.

-Kathy

That looks like a big glob of pus in the eye. I would get some saline, tweezers, QTips, and cotton balls, and go to work cleaning the gunk out. Then the eye ointment may work. The thread that Yorkshire coop recommended may be helpful as well.

X2.

-Kathy

The swelling went down, but unfortunately she went blind in one eye, but she's still a happy healthy full grown hen that lays a lot of eggs! So there's a bright side.

The swelling went down, but unfortunately she went blind in one eye, but she's still a happy healthy full grown hen that lays a lot of eggs! So there's a bright side.

nice to hear that.

I have 2 hens with the same problem and both are good layers. my araucana (blind in 1 eye) about 6 month later had the same infection in the other eye. I fought for 4 days to save her eye and I did. I gave her baytril for 7 days and for the first 4 days I cleaned her eye and put tobradex ointment 4 times a day, the next 3 days 3 times a day then twice a day for the other 4-5 days.

so check your hen regularly as the infection might return. my wyandotte has never had any problem after getting blind. I hope your girl will not.

She got the same infection too, I just haveher antibiotic in her water and ointment in her eye. That's good to hear, I hope they have good health. :)

Back
Top Bottom