HELP ME PLEASE! i dontbknow what to do!

silkielover92

Songster
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
Eatonville Washington
SO I'm new to hatchi ng chickens...letting the mommas do it anyways this morning I go out to th:woote coop and theirs a chirping egg. in the process of kicking all the other ducks and hens out one Drake jumps in the laying box while the momma was getting water and he cracks the egg open and the layer on the inside right under the shell... now momma is sitting in the egg still its still in there and chirping...but I don't know if I just crack it the rest if the way... or what? I can see a beak and its moving and stuff but Idk let ommas sit on it, or what?

Whatever you do, don't touch it! Cracking it open yourself is likely to have a bad outcome. Chicks pip and then often take hours to hatch from that point on because they are still absorbing the yolk. Pulling them out prematurely may result in their bleeding to death as the blood vessels may not be ready.

I agree. Let it do its thing. And pics once its out would be nice
smile.png

You probably shouldn't have moved it if the hen was still sitting on it. They know what to do. You let out humidity which the other chicks need to hatch. I hope it goes well. Did you give it back to the momma or put it in a bator.
Michele

That was when it first happened this morning when she was off getting her food and dust bathing. I haven't checked on it since this morning I figured she knows what to do, and I am sketched out kuz I never had to worry about that...I normally hatch them so this is all new to me. She's sitting on it, personally do u think it will make it?

Oooo sorry if I sounded like I was asking you to take it out for a photo op. No no no - I meant AFTER the hatch. You have to really leave them alone and let them do their thing until after hatched. I dont even touch them until after they are all dried off. Just dont blame yourself (or the drake) if the chicky doesnt make it because sometimes things happen. But its chances of survival are MUCH better if you let Momma handle the hatching.

Back
Top Bottom