HELP ME PLEASE my chick wont pip!!!!!

silkielove16

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2022
my chick has internaly piped but it has been at least 3 days and it wont pip I don't know if i should help it or leave it alone. it is still alive and it will tap on the egg from the inside if i tap on the egg from the outside but other than that it doesn't do much, it has stopped peeping and the mom is starting to care less about it. what do i do!

i have a chick that has not pipped and it has been 3 days since they broke the membrane i made a post about it but idk what to do

yes and it has been 3 days
Are you certain it internally pipped?
What day is it on? Is there still movement/chirps?

If its been 3 days since a definite internal pip, you'll need to make a safety hole over the air cell.
Here is the Assisted hatching article which will explain how best to do this. It should only be a tiny hole, and you must be careful that baby isn't in the way

not a hundred percent sure what day it is on but it internaly pipped with the other eggs and they took a day to hatch after that they all hatched but him even the chicks that internaly pipped after him have hatched. they hatched yesterday and im woried because he was originaly peeping and now he isnt

I'd recommend a safety hole.

I give my duck and goose eggs about 24 hours after internal pip (verified with candler, tapping inside egg noise, or peeping). My husband uses a very tiny drill bit into a free area of the air cell, then back into the incubator. I find that I sleep better knowing that they will have air.

Before, when I wasn't making safety holes, overdue external pips were usually wrong enders. Sometimes they internally pipped fine then the little buggers turned around in the shell.

This post discusses gosling hatches, but the part about safety holes is excellent for any hatch:

Thread 'Goose Incubation & Hatching Guide - Completed!!!!'
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/

If you have to do an actual assist, Sally Sunshine's article,

Step by Step Guide to ASSISTED Hatching​

is a tremendous asset.

Good luck!

my chick has internaly piped but it has been at least 3 days and it wont pip I don't know if i should help it or leave it alone. it is still alive and it will tap on the egg from the inside if i tap on the egg from the outside but other than that it doesn't do much, it has stopped peeping and the mom is starting to care less about it. what do i do!
Have you read this?
Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry

Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry

Preface If you need immediate instructions on how to assist a hatch, you may skip this section and go to the next one, where the instructions are. To start with, I want to address the fact that some people think assisting during a hatch is wrong. I respect the decision to not help during a...

I wait till the end of the second hatch day to take a small piece of metal and barely crack the under part of the big end of the egg. I go back hour after hour to take a little more off, of course piercing in to the membrane when it seems like a good time, a small hole for air. After so I will put the egg back in the incubator to let it come out itself unless it is stick. If it is sticky I wash a little with dawn soap and warm water. I successfully saved 2 hedemoras, 1 Australorp and 2 Barnevelders all in the last 24 hrs doing this. They were all not popping and would have drown.

not a hundred percent sure what day it is on but it internaly pipped with the other eggs and they took a day to hatch after that they all hatched but him even the chicks that internaly pipped after him have hatched. they hatched yesterday and im woried because he was originaly peeping and now he isnt
I'd do the safety hole, if he's still alive he needs air asap

Back
Top Bottom