HELP ME PLEASE my chick wont pip!!!!!

silkielove16

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2022
my chick has internaly piped but it has been at least 3 days and it wont pip I don't know if i should help it or leave it alone. it is still alive and it will tap on the egg from the inside if i tap on the egg from the outside but other than that it doesn't do much, it has stopped peeping and the mom is starting to care less about it. what do i do!

Seems like your over candling them I would of left it alone as now it will shrink wrap and prolly be to weak to live
If left alone, it definitely wouldn't make it. 3 days without pipping, is not good, it would eventually suffocate. The egg wouldn't have shrink wrapped without an external pip there
OP did the right thing, and in this situation I think it's important to monitor them, keeping an eye on veins etc so that they can be helped.

Some leave it up to nature and that's always an option, but there's no harm in helping if it's done correctly.
Hopefully the chick can finish the hatch itself, but if not it's up to OP and whether they want to assist further or not

my chick has internaly piped but it has been at least 3 days and it wont pip I don't know if i should help it or leave it alone. it is still alive and it will tap on the egg from the inside if i tap on the egg from the outside but other than that it doesn't do much, it has stopped peeping and the mom is starting to care less about it. what do i do!
Have you read this?
Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry

Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry

Preface If you need immediate instructions on how to assist a hatch, you may skip this section and go to the next one, where the instructions are. To start with, I want to address the fact that some people think assisting during a hatch is wrong. I respect the decision to not help during a...

i added a saftey hole and removed some of the shell around it enough to fit a q tip through and i wet the membrane and there is some blood in the veins still. when i did this the chick began to peep again and started to tap on the shell some more.

I’ve only hatched ducks, so I’m not sure about chickens, but in my last clutch I incubated, all of them required assistance getting out (some were malpostitioned and others were just not able to get out on their own) and all are doing well, at 2 months old. In my experience, if you have to start helping a chick, like making a safety hole, you’ll have to help them until they hatch
i have silkie chickens and i was planing to sell all of these chicks but im gonna keep the one that is having trouble. she is doing mutch better by the way i ended up breaking off most of the shell in the airpocket and breaking some of the membrane to where she can move more and now she can see me and she seems lo like traitor by olivia rodrigo, she started peeping at me when i sang it lol

Back
Top Bottom