Help me please!!

kblack777

Hatching
Aug 15, 2016
My chicken Millie has a black lump or growth on her foot at first I though it was just poop or mud and it wash off when she played in the puddles (which she does) but now I seems to be bigger and she limps when running now other than that she seems fine still laying & paying with her best buddie Ethel but when I tried to take it off it looked like it was coming off , she really seemed not to like it so I stopped...what can I do ??If I lose her I know Ethel will die heart broken..it looks like a big lump off mud or poop on her lf were the foot connects Help me please we have no chicken doctors here that I know off!

Millie is 5 years old will get up a picture tomorrow ,asap as I am at work now but never saw this before on any of my chickens I had in the past

it didn't look like any of those pictures , its just above her foot and looks like a lump of mud that looks like it is going to fall off but when I try to see if it would come off she was not happy ..I will get a picture up tomorrow as I am at work now but I am thinking some type of infection maybe? We do not have any one around here who does chickens, so will have to do myself what ever it is ..do they ..could I use nerosporing on a chicken?

Yes, neosporin can be used on chickens, just make sure it isn't the pain relief kind. Infection is possible, but I can't really say much without a picture. It would be wise to restrict her movement. I think I know what you are talking about, though. I had a rooster with something similar once, but maybe in a different place.

I don't remember what exactly happened, but he was fine and is alive and happy right now.
smile.png
You should give her a bath in warm water, soaking her feet maybe with some salts, and see if that helps.

yes after looking it up it does seem she has scaly legs..

still don't know what that black thing is , could it be a infection? I never heard of scaly legs before(thank you) they are 6 1/2 years old and are more like my pets so will clean and oil up those legs tonight!! Both of them! Thank you all so much for your help! PS what could I give her for an infection on that black thing? Should I gently wash that too and put Neosporin on it or like a first aid ointment?

My guess is bumblefoot, or some variant of that. Bumblefoot is like a staph infection. If she got a cut on her foot and it got infected this is probably what would result. I've treated Bumblefoot in my hens a few times. I use a disposable scalpel and open the wound, squeeze out the puss, and soak it in a warm bath of iodine/surgical scrub (warm water, and just enough surgical scrub to make the water the color of tea). Then put some Neosporin or something similar and wrap the wound. It's a good idea to clean and soak it at least 1-2x's a day until it's healing well. If it is a bad case, I've also given shots of penicillin to help out getting the infection under control.

Here's another thread on this site with some good info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/352701/how-do-i-administer-a-penicillin-shot-to-a-chicken

Bumblefoot is usually (but not always) on the bottom of the foot. The foot will swell, sometimes be hot to the touch (feverish). When it gets bad, the chicken will limp & then finally not be able to walk at all. As the others said, it's a staph infection. Surgery should be done asap because it will spread and can cause death.

It doesn't look like any bubblefoot that I've seen. But the symptoms seem to fit. First thing, soak her foot in Epsom salt & water. Pull that thing off so you can see what's going on. Please keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom