HELP ME QUICK!!!!

Thanks Amy SO much!! So, They are safe after day 13 left on 1 side! Would you know if it's day 13 on my duck eggs or would it be longer? Will the air sac still be in the same place when I do my candling? I know this is prob. here on the site but I'm still trying to learn how to navigate on BYC! LOL!

Most duck eggs are generally 28 days, so I would say instead of 2 weeks, it would be 3 weeks. I have never done ducks. Just chickens and a batch of guineas. Not sure what you mean about the air cells being in the same place. Unless you have detached air cells from shipping, the air cell should always be in the top, rounded/fatter end. I will warn you now, that when you hand turn, and you candle, it will appear that the growth/development is only on one side, this is normal. Sometimes it's just easier to ask what you need to know rather than find it on here...lol

I use sanitizer on my hands before touching eggs is this ok?

As long as it's rubbed in well I don't see where it would be a problem. I use wipes to wash mine.

I have another ? for you! On top of my bator issues 1 of my newborn Silkies looks sickly. It has a bald spot on it's head and what looks like pasty butt! I feed them chick starter, UltraKibble for chicks, chick grit along with GroGel in the water! Last night when I noticed it was not acting normal I did add some vinegar in the water! Can you think of anything I could do better? They are in my house in the brooder, I use pine shavings for bedding.. ALL is kept clean!

Got my money back on one of these defective bators I got and was looking for a low priced replacement! Have you seen on here which one is the best to buy? I was looking at TSC site! Seen the HovaBator, Farm Innovator 4200, and Little Giant! Just don't want to waste more $ on junk!! Ideas?

I have another ? for you! On top of my bator issues 1 of my newborn Silkies looks sickly. It has a bald spot on it's head and what looks like pasty butt! I feed them chick starter, UltraKibble for chicks, chick grit along with GroGel in the water! Last night when I noticed it was not acting normal I did add some vinegar in the water! Can you think of anything I could do better? They are in my house in the brooder, I use pine shavings for bedding.. ALL is kept clean!

All they really need is chick starter at this point. You may be overloading their little systems with the xtras. I am unfamiliar with ultra kibble. Grit only needs to be fed along with other treats. If you feed strictly starter you don't need grit. You can give them treats like boiled eggs, or yogurt w/out needing the grit as well. I have never seen grow gel either. I use sav a chick electrolyte in my water the first couple days after hatch. It's not unusual to have a little pasty butt, ACV in the water is usually the highest recommended, but the ACV should have the "mother" in it. Sounds like your silkie has a high vaulted head? The scalp is all closed up, right? If so you shouldn't have anything to worry about and you should see down covering it when it fluffs out. My avatar pic chick is a silkie that had a high vaulted head.

Got my money back on one of these defective bators I got and was looking for a low priced replacement! Have you seen on here which one is the best to buy? I was looking at TSC site! Seen the HovaBator, Farm Innovator 4200, and Little Giant! Just don't want to waste more $ on junk!! Ideas?

Hovabator. Hands down. You do not want to mess with the digital LGs and the FIs aren't that great either. Hovabator has a nice 1588 model. All digital. I want to get the 1583 which is the same style, just not digital.

Thanks Amy! What about the 1602n? That one is showing up a lot in my searches! I do see the 1588 also! I need the best one that will hold temp. cause my house is so old that it don't stay warm in here, LOL! With temp. dropping here in NC at night it gets chilly in the house! I have noticed that temp. in my bator is only going down to 99. Chicks head is not open it just looks like it's bald! It does look like it's feeling better now that I gave it a little ACV! I do love your avatar pic, so cute! I need the fully auto bator cause if my health declines and I have to be away I don't lose a hatch! Normally my husband would be home to keep things going, BUT, LOL.. He's out of town for a short time! I think my timing is way off for my huge addiction, LOL!!! I buy-hatch-sell! I would love to keep all the little ones but have to build a coop! LOL, I will just buy lots of chicken diapers and keep them in the house!! My big problem is nobody wants to buy chicks this time of yr.! Anyway, When a chick gets sticky chick, would that mean they would need help hatching or die? I'm very passionate about my birds and would love to be 100% prepared to assist if I need to! I did get VERY worried when my duckling was hatching last week cause after it made 1st pip there was no activity for 12hrs! I found myself going crazy thinking I needed to help, but seen in research I would only kill it! I did look a little about the hands on on here and agree that if it comes to helping I will! I'm asking when and how? Is it really bad to open bator for a quick peak? I have no view of the eggs in the bator I have for hatching!

Thanks Amy! What about the 1602n? That one is showing up a lot in my searches! I do see the 1588 also! I need the best one that will hold temp. cause my house is so old that it don't stay warm in here, LOL! With temp. dropping here in NC at night it gets chilly in the house! I have noticed that temp. in my bator is only going down to 99. Chicks head is not open it just looks like it's bald! It does look like it's feeling better now that I gave it a little ACV! I do love your avatar pic, so cute! I need the fully auto bator cause if my health declines and I have to be away I don't lose a hatch! Normally my husband would be home to keep things going, BUT, LOL.. He's out of town for a short time! I think my timing is way off for my huge addiction, LOL!!! I buy-hatch-sell! I would love to keep all the little ones but have to build a coop! LOL, I will just buy lots of chicken diapers and keep them in the house!! My big problem is nobody wants to buy chicks this time of yr.! Anyway, When a chick gets sticky chick, would that mean they would need help hatching or die? I'm very passionate about my birds and would love to be 100% prepared to assist if I need to! I did get VERY worried when my duckling was hatching last week cause after it made 1st pip there was no activity for 12hrs! I found myself going crazy thinking I needed to help, but seen in research I would only kill it! I did look a little about the hands on on here and agree that if it comes to helping I will! I'm asking when and how? Is it really bad to open bator for a quick peak? I have no view of the eggs in the bator I have for hatching!

The 1602 is an older model, I don't think it's digital, I could be wrong. The 1588 is digital with temp control. I'd say the 1588 sounds like a better fit for you.
Chicks can take up to 24 hours before progressing and ducks can take twice as long. I am a hands on hatcher..extremely hands on, so I open my bator frequently during hatch. There are two camps. Hands off hatchers who insist on the only way is to keep it closed, then there's my camp, who defy the old ways and do open. I'm going to give you another link. This is a hatching guide from a hands on perspective. (Most are written from hands off perspectives.) It also has a small section on assisting. Plus I'll give you the link to my thread here for hands on hatching, so if you find yourself stuck and in need of help you can jump in the convo there and hopefully someone will be around and can help direct you.

Guide: http://hatching411.weebly.com/
Thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

The first link is my philosophy, so you'll see how I assist and under what circumstances there.
1f642.png

Thanks Amy! What about the 1602n? That one is showing up a lot in my searches! I do see the 1588 also! I need the best one that will hold temp. cause my house is so old that it don't stay warm in here, LOL! With temp. dropping here in NC at night it gets chilly in the house! I have noticed that temp. in my bator is only going down to 99. Chicks head is not open it just looks like it's bald! It does look like it's feeling better now that I gave it a little ACV! I do love your avatar pic, so cute! I need the fully auto bator cause if my health declines and I have to be away I don't lose a hatch! Normally my husband would be home to keep things going, BUT, LOL.. He's out of town for a short time! I think my timing is way off for my huge addiction, LOL!!! I buy-hatch-sell! I would love to keep all the little ones but have to build a coop! LOL, I will just buy lots of chicken diapers and keep them in the house!! My big problem is nobody wants to buy chicks this time of yr.! Anyway, When a chick gets sticky chick, would that mean they would need help hatching or die? I'm very passionate about my birds and would love to be 100% prepared to assist if I need to! I did get VERY worried when my duckling was hatching last week cause after it made 1st pip there was no activity for 12hrs! I found myself going crazy thinking I needed to help, but seen in research I would only kill it! I did look a little about the hands on on here and agree that if it comes to helping I will! I'm asking when and how? Is it really bad to open bator for a quick peak? I have no view of the eggs in the bator I have for hatching!
I'll chime in because I've had both the Hova-Bator 1602N and the 1588...go with the 1588 Genesis. The digital controls will help you prevent losing your mind trying to adjust the temperature on the 1602N innumerable times (ok, I exaggerate very slightly). The wafer thermostat on the 1602N was a real pain to deal with - so much so that I returned the blasted 1602N and bought the 1588...and was much happier.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom