Help me recycle this old cabinet and use it in my coop or chicken area

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bobbieschicks, Oct 5, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I have this solid oak tv cabinet that I think I could somehow repurpose and use in the coop/chicken area - but I can't seem to figure out how... what should I use it for? Let me have your creative suggestions please!

I think it could be used for storage or somehow to house my Silkies or... I don't know - what do you think? I could list it on Craigslist as a tv stand - but if I can repurpose it - I'd rather do that.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    The best way to recylce that cabinet is to let me come over and pick it up. [​IMG]

3. lizage

lizage Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG]

Funniest thing I've read so far today. [​IMG]

4. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Quote:Nice![​IMG] But not what I had in mind.

5. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    I've always wanted an indoor bird aviary, like they have in nursing homes' dining rooms, with pretty light and plants in it, and pretty finches that sing and beep. I think that cabinet could be tricked out like an indoor aviary, the finches or canaries might love it.

6. swatchick

swatchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    What are the dimensions of it?

7. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Welllllll the bottom part at least could be seperated into cubbies and used as silkies nesting boxes.....
    The top part could be a chicken jungle gym, ie. a large roost area, feeding station.... LoL I dunno, just throwing ideas out there.

8. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    I don't know how big your coop is but if it were mine, put it on one wall,
    I see nesting boxes below, the side cabinets would be perfect to house rakes and things, extra pole for roosting, hanging an extra old coat for covering up. all the feed bags you want to save, doors on things are wonderful
    I am seeing a window in the center of it, you could hang some tomatoe plants there and the chickens could watch them ripen and eat them off the vine...too cool, get the small cherry type tomatoe, and put down something water/poop proof underneath that

9. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I would totally use that to store my craft supplies (or linens, clothes, etc). I would stain or paint it and use it in MY house, not the chickens (but that's just me [​IMG] )

10. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:HAHA! I haven't any room for it inside our house - that's why I was trying to use it for the chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by