Help me sex my 3 new barred(but mixed breed) chicks?

Nenad

Songster
May 4, 2021
Serbia, Bačka Palanka
So I bought 3 new chicks that hatched last friday so 6 days old(thats what guy said). I picked these 3 and I was wondering can same sexing metod be applied here on mixed bred barred just like in barred rocks? Here are pics

Chick 1
20220413_121945.jpg
20220413_121951.jpg
20220413_122034.jpg
Chick 2
20220413_122049.jpg
20220413_122054.jpg
20220413_122059.jpg

Chick 3
20220413_122127.jpg
20220413_122132.jpg
20220413_122137.jpg

I was wondering can same sexing metod be applied here on mixed bred barred just like in barred rocks?
Do you know what color their parents are?

Barring on mixed breed chicks can sometimes be used for sexing, but sometimes not.

Barring is on the Z sex chromosome. Males have two of (ZZ) and females have one (ZW).

So with Barred Rocks, you can sex them by telling the chicks with two copies of barring (lighter, more white, male) from chicks with one copy (darker, less white, female.)

If both parents are barred (father double barred, mother single barred), the sons will also be double barred and the daughters single barred, so you could probably sex them that way.

If the mother has barring but the father does not, the chicks will be sexlinks with single barred males and unbarred females. (This is the sexing method used for Black Sexlinks.)

If the father has double barring (like a Barred Rock male) but the mother has no barring, every chick will have one copy of the barring gene, and that is useless for sexing.

If the father has single barring (like a Black Sexlink male) he can give barring or not-barring to his chicks, and you should not expect to sex the chicks by color, no matter whether the mother has barring or not.
Toms are male turkeys.
The photos show baby chickens.
I'm quite sure they are not toms.

Barring on mixed breed chicks can sometimes be used for sexing, but sometimes not.

Barring is on the Z sex chromosome. Males have two of (ZZ) and females have one (ZW).

So with Barred Rocks, you can sex them by telling the chicks with two copies of barring (lighter, more white, male) from chicks with one copy (darker, less white, female.)

If both parents are barred (father double barred, mother single barred), the sons will also be double barred and the daughters single barred, so you could probably sex them that way.

If the mother has barring but the father does not, the chicks will be sexlinks with single barred males and unbarred females. (This is the sexing method used for Black Sexlinks.)

If the father has double barring (like a Barred Rock male) but the mother has no barring, every chick will have one copy of the barring gene, and that is useless for sexing.

If the father has single barring (like a Black Sexlink male) he can give barring or not-barring to his chicks, and you should not expect to sex the chicks by color, no matter whether the mother has barring or not.

Toms are male turkeys.
It's posted in the turkey section I said that as a joke. So yeah they're toms I'm quite sure male turkeys aren't roosters

Just by looking at the feet and having sexes Barred Rock's successfully before, my best guess is 1 roo, 2 (really hard to tell but leaning towards roo), 3 hen. But it changes and in just going by their feet and head markings. It's very hard to tell at this age.

Just by looking at the feet and having sexes Barred Rock's successfully before, my best guess is 1 roo, 2 (really hard to tell but leaning towards roo), 3 hen. But it changes and in just going by their feet and head markings. It's very hard to tell at this age.
Since I have 4 cockerels that are grown, I don't know what will I do with more cockerels. Thanks you. How early do you think they can be accurate sexed?

I don't know, he buys mixed breed eggs from someone who keeps them mixed.
In that case, you'll have to wait until they show their gender by comb size or other ways.

So for chick to be barred if it is mixed breed it need one parent to be barred?
Yes.
If that is true then if their mother was barred and dad wasn't they are all 3 cockerels, if it is just dad than they can be either pullet or cockerels?
Yes.

Toms are male turkeys.
I don't know, he buys mixed breed eggs from someone who keeps them mixed. So for chick to be barred if it is mixed breed it need one parent to be barred? If that is true then if their mother was barred and dad wasn't they are all 3 cockerels, if it is just dad than they can be either pullet or cockerels? Thank you

Back
Top Bottom