help me sex my month old chicks, please!

carolaur

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
North Florida
I have six chicks that are four months old. First three are light brahma, 2 Ameraucana, the darker one is more feathered,and a little Buff Orp that is developing very slowly. He was very wobbly last week but he is getting stronger, read a post about a slow growth gene with BOs meant it was a roo? I am getting three sexed BOs Wednesday, as I am thinking I have at least 3 roos. Any opinions?
26178_imgp0909.jpg

lb#1
26178_imgp0917.jpg

26178_imgp0914.jpg

26178_imgp0913.jpg

26178_imgp0916.jpg

lb#2
26178_imgp0920.jpg

26178_imgp0919.jpg

the rest
26178_imgp0922.jpg

ameraucana 1
26178_imgp0923.jpg

ameraucana 2
26178_imgp0924.jpg

buff orp or if tiny pic, see the other pic above
26178_imgp0925.jpg

thanks, that was what I was afraid of, hoped at least the well feathered one was a girl, but they all stand up tall and look very similar otherwise. So yes, I think I'll be picking up some sexed orps this week, the roos will be going to a farm when they get a little bigger.

I am assuming you meant your six chicks are 4 weeks old? I am no expert, and I am really tired right now, but I would say 1 pullet 1 roo LB, 1 pullet 1 roo EE, and if it is true that BO roos really do grow slower than pullets, your BO is a roo. Because my two BO's that are the same age have much more of a tail and much more feathering than yours does here in these pictures.

Pretty chicks!! Can't wait to see how they grow and who they turn out to be for real! hee hee hee....

I think it's too soon to tell on these chicks. I don't see any wattles or pink combs. Some breeds of chicks do stand tall - my black sexlinks looked and behaved so much like roos, but they were all female.

Your chicks look younger than 4 weeks to me - is that possible?
Were these 1st chicks sexed or straight run?

Your chicks only look 3 weeks old or slightly less to me.

My LB chick tended to stand up really straight like a roo from the beginning. She's five weeks old now, and she's definitely a pullet. I think they just have more of a tendency to have that sort of carriage.

Last edited:
I have had them for two weeks exactly. I bought them from a guy with a small poultry farm who bought the eggs and hatched them out. He said they were two and a half weeks old, all hatched within three days of each other. That actually makes them 4-41/2 weeks today if he was correct. They were not sexed. My niece and I who know very little about chicks tried to pick ones with shorter legs, more delicate legs, feet. My worry was that someone had shown up before me and picked out all the pullets, or maybe the farmer had picked them all out. He seemed to be hatching them for sale, not for himself, though. The little buff orp is the least developed, seems younger than the others. Two weeks ago they had a good start on their feathers although they have grown and added more. Thanks for the questions and ideas.

Back
Top Bottom