help me sex/what breed do you think this is?

wickstopher

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Hi, there! I have a young bird (4 months, maybe) who I think is either a Barred Rock or a Cuckoo Marans. The breeder says it's a female Marans, but I'm not too sure about either! S(he) is pretty loud, and already is developing a rather pronounced comb and wattle, but I don't see any saddle feathers. I'm very new to this, however. I can't have roosters because I live in the city, and I'm at about a 50% roo rate from these breeders so far.
sad.png
Let me know what you all think! Thanks!

6137657867_1c05fdb52f_z.jpg

6137655769_3944054200_z.jpg

Last edited:
looks like a barred rock pullet to me. BR hens have larger combs than most breeds, and BR roos have wider white stripes than that

i am not as sure as everyone else is, legs are rather pale for a barred rock and the barring isn't good. too much white for barred pullet, too dark for a barred roo. i think it is at least in part maran.

Barred Rock. If the bird is 4 months old, she's hen. If you're wrong on the age and the bird is younger, he's roo. Those neck feathers seem rooish but the comb and wattles are far too small at 4 mos to be roo.

Quote:
Just what I was thinking! Cuckoo Marans are white skinned. From the look of her I definitely think hen. A BR cock would have bigger combs and wattles for sure, and more pronounced saddle and tail plumage.

Back
Top Bottom