Help me solve a mystery

Newbiechickiemom

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2021
Hi all. New chicken mom here. I have a flock of 4 (an ISA brown, black sexlink and two Easter eggers). About 3 weeks ago my ISA started laying beautiful brown eggs every day. Well one day my black sexlink was showing all the signs. And that afternoon I got a second much lighter brown egg. I assume it's from my black sexlink. Well it's been over a week and I'm still getting my daily dark brown egg, but I haven't seen any other eggs in a week and a half! What's going on?

Attachments

• IMG_20210727_151119.jpg
    IMG_20210727_151119.jpg
    685.2 KB · Views: 6
ISA Brown is a very good layer, and will probably out-lay all others. Your sex-link is just starting, that is a pretty good size for a first egg. She might take a while to get regular, and only lay 4 eggs a week even when fully adult. Make sure that there are no "secret" places she could be laying her eggs -- keep them inside until you get the eggs for the day if they might hide their eggs somewhere in the yard.

ISA Brown is a very good layer, and will probably out-lay all others. Your sex-link is just starting, that is a pretty good size for a first egg. She might take a while to get regular, and only lay 4 eggs a week even when fully adult. Make sure that there are no "secret" places she could be laying her eggs -- keep them inside until you get the eggs for the day if they might hide their eggs somewhere in the yard.
Agreed.

Thanks for replying!! So it's normal that she hasn't laid in 1.5 weeks? I only free range when I'm with them due to predators, so I know she isn't hiding them.

Some hens “tease” laying on their first egg(s).

Make sure there are no hidden places where they may be laying their eggs.

I had my first hen lay and then not for 3 weeks! And I know she wasn’t laying because there were no spaces in her pen to hide her eggs.
That's so good to know! I thought I had a broken hen 😂 they only free range with supervision due to predators so I know she isn't hiding them.

Back
Top Bottom