Help me solve this mystery.

It's funny how they all want to use the same nest. Here I have 4 nestboxes, all the same. Yet the one hen wants to use box #2 even though it is the only one occupied!

MyTurn1.jpg

MyTurn2.jpg

We have one hen who will kick other hens out of "her" nest...even if she's not in it at the moment.
roll.png
Also, if it is hot, we get more eggs on the floor and under the coop since they don't want to go in the nest (too hot). We have one who rotates between the nest and different corners of the coop. She'll even start out in the nest...hop out and go sit in the corner and finish laying.
hmm.png
I think it is because it has been hot (at least here in the SW US it has been!).

If the nest boxes are too hot or too cold/drafty, the hens will lay on the floor. Can you put some holes in for ventilation if they're too hot? That might fix that problem.

The nest boxes have a 1/2" slot top and bottom along the back for vents. I don't thnk its the heat, the floor laying has been going on regardless of the outside temp. (60 - 90)

Last night there was 2 in each box and 3 on the floor.

This really isn't a problem for me, I don't mind the piggyback rides. I just wonder if there is something that I am not providing that triggers the floor laying.

Thanx,

David

Is there a spell checker on this thing?? I must have to edit my posts 2-3 times because I can't type and spell at the same tyme!

Last edited:
Quote:
LOL!!!!
celebrate.gif
I was raking the pen on Monday to clean it up & when I knelt down to pull a weed out of the edge, my favorite hen jumped on my back & scared the crap out of me! I think I scared the crap out of her too, but she jumped right back up & hung out on my shoulder......I think she's half parrot!
But oh my.....thank god I don't have any neighbors, or the thoughts they would have when they see me with the girls... They come when called & get all upset if I don't go in & pet each one of them as soon as I head to the barn to do the horses after work.... they will SCREAM if I haven't stopped in & picked up each one & pet them for a minute! And they say animals are dumb! Righhhhhht!
wink.png
They have US trained more than we know..... crawling around for eggs, picking bunches of grass for treats, mmm hmmmm...dumb animals!

I changed the front lip/height of nest boxes from 1" to 3" and filled them with shavings.

After 4 days I've only had 1 egg on the floor. So I think I'm on the right track.

David

Last edited:
My girls that are laying (not all are yet) are laying in the back corner of the coop out of hands reach. We have only found one egg in the nesting boxes one time last week. We use a lacrosse stick to scoop up the egg. Found it was the easiest way.

Okay its been about 4 days now, and no eggs on the floor.

The reworked nest boxes did it.

Now I have a different problem. One of the girls has gone broody. Thats a subject for another topic.

Thanx again,

David

Back
Top Bottom