Help me treat my Americana's eye

Happy Henny

Songster
May 30, 2018
VA
I just noticed today one of my Americana's has a severely infected eye. She is one of the more flighty birds in my flock so I didn't notice until just today when I caught her sleeping and spotted her eye. What can I do to help her and fix the infection?
20181119_161057.jpg

Thanks

That looks bad. I am not a vet but if I were you, I would flush with soothing eye gel like vetericyn brand ophthalmic drops. Then I would apply terramycin ophthalmic ointment 2 or 3 times a day for 3 days.
Really need to squirt the gel into the eye, and also do you have the means to isolate her during recovery?

That looks bad. I am not a vet but if I were you, I would flush with soothing eye gel like vetericyn brand ophthalmic drops. Then I would apply terramycin ophthalmic ointment 2 or 3 times a day for 3 days.
Really need to squirt the gel into the eye, and also do you have the means to isolate her during recovery?
Yes, I do. I bought this gel for a bird I had with a similar but lesser case. Would this work?
20181119_162850.jpg

Do you have any Tylan 50 you can buy?
Looks like MG or another respiratory disease. My birds have it and one looks just like yours :(

What's mg? She isn't sneezing or coughing and her other eye is normal. What would I do to treat a respear tory disease?
MG is mycoplasma gallisepticum. It can't be eradicated or cured without culling the flock and starting over, but the symptoms are treatable.
I think you give .3 milligrams per pound of chicken 2x a day, everyday for 5 days.

One of our other birds has fowl pox. Do you think she has gotten it but one of the pimples got in her eye? I don't really know much about the disease.

Back
Top Bottom