Help me Understand UPS OverNight Shipment??

Rainstorm

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Lake Placid FLorida
I am recieving 2 baby collared lizards from someone around 130 miles SE of me. They are going overnight shipment.

Location Date Local Time DescriptionWhat's This?

LOUISVILLE, KY, US 10/07/2010 12:05 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN

WEST PALM BEACH, FL, US 10/06/2010 9:47 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

10/06/2010 9:01 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN

DEERFIELD BEACH, FL, US 10/06/2010 8:25 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

10/06/2010 7:25 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN

US 10/06/2010 6:07 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

They are in FL, I am in FL.... WHY ARE THEY IN LOUSVILLE KY?? shouldnt they have come straight here?? Freaking out here...

Well, I know I recently placed an order from LL Bean, which is located in Maine. I live in New Hampshire, the very next state over. I tracked my shipment via UPS and it went all the way to western Mass, then to Boston, Mass, then back to New Hampshire. It made no sense to me, but I did get the package on time.
idunno.gif

KY is the "Worldport" place for UPS - where the sorting occurs for all packages.

This is a neat explanation:
http://money.howstuffworks.com/ups.htm

ETA: Even though the site says 200 miles, it probably went to Worldport because it's an overnight ship, and that is the best way to make sure it gets where it's going through the best process they have (and if you read the link, it's really pretty amazing.)

We ship a lot of UPS at work - actually the second largest UPS account in the State of MI. The majority of our shipments are overnight and 2nd day. It's amazing how things get from here to there, with that kind of volume.

Laurajean - I'm betting your package went to the closest Regional Hub, which is kind of a little Worldport.

Last edited:
To give you an idea of why hubs are used rather than shortest path: Years ago I was in England on reserve duty. I had a free weekend, so decided to go see the Wedgwood factory. The advised directions were to go south to London, then back north to the factory. I looked at maps and said, "that's crazy! it's over twice the distance to go that way! Cross country will be much faster, plus I'll get to see the countryside." Well, yes, I did get to see the countryside, but what could have been a two hour journey took more than four, and that is one direction. Big roads and lots of traffic going directly to/from London. Tiny roads, lots of detours, dirt lanes and slow speeds going cross country.

By using a hub, your package will get there MUCH faster.

Back
Top Bottom