Help me understand.

Harris14

Songster
Oct 16, 2020
I have had chickens for almost a year. I’ve had 4 hens go broody and the first 3 was successful and not one baby died. This last hen hatched 5. There 2 weeks old now but one by one there getting pasty butt and two has died. I moved her to a more comfortable pen with her babies. I’ve gave them electrolytes. They eat purina chick starter grower. Why are the babies dying.

First off,,,,,,,,, are you cleaning the past butts regularly??? Usually, pasty butts occur when the chicks are in brooder, under excess heat. (lamp)
With a broody hen there is not likely excess heat.
Do chicks have plenty access to water?? Possibly offer additional water dishes for chicks to get to easily.
No location in your profile... Are you somewhere that it is Hot as Hades now??

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I have had chickens for almost a year. I’ve had 4 hens go broody and the first 3 was successful and not one baby died. This last hen hatched 5. There 2 weeks old now but one by one there getting pasty butt and two has died. I moved her to a more comfortable pen with her babies. I’ve gave them electrolytes. They eat purina chick starter grower. Why are the babies dying.
Be sure to clean their pasty butts. Make sure lots of clean water is available. Make sure it's not too hot where they are.

Back
Top Bottom