Help me, wierd air bubble on my chick???

ChaRmy*

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 14, 2007
Australia, Bendigo
I've had baby chicks before but i haven't noticed anything like this. It's like an airbubble off the side of it's neck i'm posting this now in hope that i know what 2 do now just incase something happens to it durring the night.
It has been pecked by the other chickens but has been by itself for a week now, I haven't noticed this before now but im hoping its just swelled in a wierd way
I need 2 know what it is please

If the problem were crop related, I would think you would see a change. You could take feed away for a day but give water with vitamins and electrolytes. The crop should be larger when eating/full and smaller the next morning after having no food overnight.

If there is no change, it maybe subcutaneous emphysema. I was just reading about this on another poultry website. The person posting found one of her 3 week old chicks walking funny and completely swollen on one side of its body. At first she thought it was an abcess, but found it was just air. Somewhere her chick had a ruptured air sac and air was leaking into the body cavity, causing the bird to swell up. She had to use a syringe to withdraw the air from the area numerous times during the day. Someone who had experienced this before told her it takes about 2 months for the thing to heal.

If it turns out not to be crop problem, you may want to seek vet advice.

regards,
keljonma

if edited, probably for typos..

Last edited:
Thanks guys it sounds like the chick could hve a ruptured air sac, It still seems fine cherpy little self as usual and it din't change with no food and it pooing fine. Everytime the chicken gets stressed out it seems to get larger like when i place it on my open hand above the ground odd hey. Might take her too the vet JIC.

It's also possible that it's some kind of a tumor. I had a pullet with that a few years ago, but I couldn't tell you how to get rid of it. With mine I found the bird dead one morning with the tumor popped and puss or something draining out of it. Nothing like a little encouragement, huh? Hope yours does better than mine. Keep us posted on how the chick is.

Last edited:
Hey guys thanks heaps 4 the help. i have to suck the air out a few times a day and she's now on antibotics for it. But she should be fine.
big_smile.png
im so glad

Ok so shes going alot better even more talkitive (dont know how) but shes walking around now 2 although im pretty sure she'd be hating me write now i have to stick a needle in her a few times a day i have to shove ointment in her eye and shove antibiotics down her throut. I hate it so much i almost cry each time i hold her while my partner does it all.
sad.png
She just keeps getting better though so im not going to complain:D

Ok, not trying to take over a thread... but this is what is going on with mine. I just noticed about 3 or my 15 Production Reds have this. So, to make sure I understand what to do....I need to take their food away and give plenty of water for a day? If that doesnt help stick a needle in that bubble, because it could be an air bubble? My kid splay with them. Should I make them leave them alone? They arent rough with them at all. The chicks have become our pets. I just dont want to hurt them or let something go that needs attention. Thanks for any info!

Glad yours are doing good ChaRmy*.

Back
Top Bottom