Help me with my meat hens.

Egg Snatcher

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 11, 2020
SW Missouri
I have two meat ladies, they have wounds on their backs from my nacked neck Rooster, Jerry. I was wondering if ther were Hen Saddles big enough of them. What should I do!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

You may have to make your own saddles in order for them to be large enough and fit properly.
The link below goes to a free pattern, which will fit a standard sized hen. I would cut one out from a scrap piece of material, anything would do, and then adjust size based on your needs. I often customize mine based on the particular bird. I wouldn't use a saddle/apron over open wounds, it might irritate them or rub or inhibit healing. Once they are healing up well, then you could use them. I would separate the rooster for the time being, and you could trim and blunt his spurs, which might help some.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/free-chicken-apron-saddle-pattern.424354/#post-5201261

I tried to make one it keeps falling off, but I'll see if I can make it smaller. Thanks for the help. I used the purple spray on medicin, it heals wounds fast but I'll try the save hen stuff. I'll update on the progress.

Sometimes you need larger elastic, or smaller, where it goes around the wings. And some birds are just escape artists and really hard to keep them on. I have one that I can't keep one on at all, I gave up and she's just going to look awful til she molts. Most birds will accept them after they get used to them.

Back
Top Bottom