Help me with my mystery chicks!

Yes, looks like a Speckled Sussex and featherless Buff Brahma!
1f60a.png

~Alex

I'm sorry you lost the little one, she(?) was a beautiful little chick. I think the lady you get the chicks from doesn't have a clue. She seems to have a lot of birds and doesn't seem to know breeds or gender.

I do think one is a buff Brahma but, I don't see a speckled Sussex - guess its just the awkward age and I don't recognize it. Junebuggena & donrae and Queen Misha will be coming along later today and I bet all three will know.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you lost the little one, she(?) was a beautiful little chick. I think the lady you get the chicks from doesn't have a clue. She seems to have a lot of birds and doesn't seem to know breeds or gender.

I do think one is a buff Brahma but, I don't see a speckled Sussex - guess its just the awkward age and I don't recognize it. Junebuggena & donrae and Queen Misha will be coming along later today and I bet all three will know.

maybe welsummer or brown leghorn if not spceckled sussex

I was told all three chicks were Partiridge Rocks, I think the one that passed was indeed a PR but the two that I have now look too different. I'm pleased to hear the Buff Brahma is indeed that, she is really sweet and I named her Bridget after the Saint. The little chick is the most mysterious, I suppose time will tell for sure. The white feathers on her chest is what makes me think Speckled Sussex but she doesn't have white tips on her feathers. It's so confusing!!
barnie.gif

The lady I bought them from was keeping her older chicks in her garden just free ranging so she was grabbing whatever looked appropriate to her I think. My husband picked them up, she got our first batch right but we wanted to get some more older ones to replace the boys we had. So we ended up with some happy little accidents.

At that age, she won't have "correct" spangling. This comes with maturity. :)  I have no doubt in my mind that she's an SS, because that's exactly how mine looked at that age. 

~Alex

Oh thats amazing news! Was the tail for your SS slow to come in too? I keep seeing that some people have found that even girls dont develop tails very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom