Help!!!! Mean Chick.

twzlrwho

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
South VA
So I was wondering why my chicks looked a little scraggly. I went in this morning to check on them and found a bully. I assume he is a cockerel or really advanced pullet (my money is on a cockerel). They will be 4 wks this wkd and for now I have him seperated but will this end? He was ruthlessly charging with all his feathers ruffled and actually plucking out feathers!
barnie.gif
Is this a cull or will he calm down? Anyone else had a mean chick before?

Thanks

I think this is rather normal. Even my sweetest pullet will pluck feathers from the others. I assume they are establishing pecking order. I would only be concerned if they start drawing blood. Even then i just treat the spot with no peck(found at most chicken supply stores). It taste bad to the other chicks and they tend to leave the spot alone. This could possibly a lack of protein or they may be too crowded. Try feeding a little mashed up egg to boost the protein. Good Luck and i hope this helps.

I do give them scrambled and boiled eggs once a week. Along with occasional worms. I don't think it's protein causing it. It's also not normal overcrowding pecking. He is fighting like a big roo. He attacks and sometimes he will charge a chick all the way on the other side of the brooder. Maybe it is pecking order. I've never seen such a ruthless chick though.

I just moved them into a bigger box/brooder last night. They are all spread out pretty nicely, but maybe I'm way off base there too. How much room would you say 20 4wk old chicks need?

I guess I could bump up the protein to 2x a wk instead. I'm sure that wouldn't hurt anything.

Thanks!

That many 4-week-old chicks will need plenty of room, I'd imagine. My six are banging against the walls as it is, and I think they have plenty. I have a perch they will all fit on, as well as a huge old Tupperware lid I spread some chick feed on twice a day to give them a dance floor as something to do.
smile.png
(They also have a permanent feeder.)

Still they manage to create a constant ruckus in their eternal search for something to do. Just being chicks, I guess.

I also spread out an old vinyl talbecloth over the carpeted part of the bathroom and let them run and flap around. This REALLY helps burn off chick energy, and they sleep better.

He sounds like a regular dirty rotten little roo. I would keep an eye on him to make sure he is not actually harming anyone, but my boys are sparring too.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Ed. to add - - my six are in an extra large dog crate, probably around 30 x 48 or so, and around 30+ high.)

Last edited:
Thanks and I agree. He is a rotten roo. I am just worried it goes too far. I didn't think they would fight this young. I think I will split the group up tonight and see if that helps any. There box seems big enough. They all have room to stretch and peck around so the only thing left is a split. I can see pot pie in his future though.
smile.png

Thanks again!

Pot Pie ain't bad either. I seperated my packing roos for a while and now that they HAD to go outside they are completely intimidated by my flock of hens. I was worried that the roos would be too rough because they chest bump each other.. When they get away from the other roos my smallest hen(baby girl) will chase him back. Then he gets real tough and chest bumps the other roos as if saying..I'm tough i was just cutting the little one some slack. LOL.

LOL...That's funny. He is doing almost the same thing, picking on the smaller ones. I just checked on them and they are taking their afternoon nap so maybe all hope is not lost.

Back
Top Bottom