HELP! Mean Rooster?!?

I hope that my message got to you. I would say that if the routine I described doesn't work then you may have to find him a new home. It really sounds like he needs more hens to release his energy on though that may not be an option depending on your local laws.

Yes, Thank you. That did make sense
1f44d-1f3fb.png
and I definitely want more hens. We would like about 6 more at least. But I'm having a hard time finding them. And I've read where you have to be careful bringing "outsiders" in. I would like to get hens around the same age if I could. That way hopefully they will have established some type of behavior that may work well into this small flock. Rather than just bringing chicks in, I think they would get picked on.

Last edited:
Also be mindful of vaccinations. If your flock is not vaccinated do not bring in birds that are. The diseases they are treated for are nasty and those vaccinated won't develope symptoms but most likely will be able to transmit the disease.

That's good to know. Mine have not been vaccinated. I got them from Atwoods & they don't do that. I asked about doing medicated food & she said she personally does not, why treat them if not sick, she said. So now that brings another question, should I vaccinate my flock & if so with what?? They are 14 weeks old today
1f44f-1f3fb.png

Vaccinations are usually only necessary if you live in an area with a prevalent disease or if you are showing your birds. Mareks is one of the most common vaccinations. A lot depends on your area and the show or fair rules. The fairgrounds should be able to give you a list.

I have a silkie rooster who is very tame and is a total cuddle bug. He comes up to me to be held and will fall asleep in my arms. He doesn't like it when i put him down.
He has a bum leg and that is why I thought he comes up to me sideways like a cat. He doesn't make any sounds or peck at the ground but now I wonder what could this mean with him.
When he comes up to me in a side ways walk he waits for me top pet him. He has never walked up to me head first but always sideways.
Can anyone explain to me what they think he is doing. He is about 7 mos old. I never thought this sideways walk was a dominance move but now....

Back
Top Bottom