HELP!!!!! Mean Rooster

I have 2 roosters and the other guy is the best chicken. He struts around when you tell him how handsome he is. This Roo came from someone. I had originally taken him as a favor for a friend. Next option is dropping it off at her door.

We had a very mean rooster who decided that everyone but me had to die. He didn't fly at me - but he got a hankering for the liver of small kids...so he had to go!

He was delicious - but as a barnyard rooster we definitely cooked him up as cock au vin or he would have been inedible.

The flapping and carrying on after death is going to happen no matter which method you use - chickens evolved from therapods, and they're pretty dinosaurian even now. Their nervous systems are designed to keep them going despite appalling injuries, and they really don't fall over flat until there's just nothing left. The brain can have checked out five minutes before, but the body won't know it.

I'm a small person iRL and I use the broomstick method (you can google it) as it's fast, instant, and not bloody. Every single time I've had to put a chicken down, I've used it, freaked out because the wings were flapping, tried it again, then the head's, uh, come off. Because every single time, I broke the neck in one go and the bird was instantly dead. It's pretty foolproof, and it's not upsetting for you or the chicken.

That is, it's not upsetting until you do it twice out of a need to be 'completely humane' and are then wearing a chicken head.

If it helps at all, birds are descended from Coelurosauria - so visualise yourself versus a velociraptor...
lol.png

(Not that hard to do with an angry rooster!)

I'm thinking about culling my rooster which is a buff Orpington. He attacks me sometimes when I'm outside in the yard even if I'm giving them food. Also I had a hen get hurt by my dog yesterday but she is fine now just a little shaken up. So when I go to put her back in the coop he jumps down a rapes her. She would run and he would just chase here into a corner he did this over and over I tried to smack him off of her but I couldn't reach them. He's not a very good rooster and I don't want him around. He is way to harsh on the girls.

He hasn't drawn blood from me yet but his spurs are just now 1/4 of an inch long. He's a year old.

Good roosters don't attack their keepers or their hens, they are suppose to take care of them and look out for them, not just take advantage of them.

p
Good roosters don't attack their keepers or their hens, they are suppose to take care of them and look out for them, not just take advantage of them.
when I put her in the coop it was dark and they couldn't really see all he could see was my legs. So do u think that he bred her thinking that another rooster had already done so.

p
when I put her in the coop it was dark and they couldn't really see all he could see was my legs. So do u think that he bred her thinking that another rooster had already done so.
He sounds like a jerk to his hens and to you. Neither is an asset to your flock. Time for him to get the boot.

You know when a hen wants to be bred they will squat for the rooster. I was standing outside today watching the chickens and he would slowly get behind the hens and try to get on top of them as fast as possible. Only one of the hens actually squatted for him.

Back
Top Bottom