help - mereks or wry or something else

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmarlowdrive, Dec 10, 2016.

1. cmarlowdrive

cmarlowdrive Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2016
    found hen stumbling around in yard like she is drunk. She is falling over and not able to stand up or balance with her tail up.
    How can I help her. My vet is closed for evening. thanks for any and all advice.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Mareks does not usually cause acute severe signs. Separate the hen into a small cage or box, and make sure there is water and food close by. Hopefully you will get more suggestions - hope she does better.

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    How long has she been like this?

4. kellyhubb

kellyhubb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    Greenville, SC
  5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Your location would help......Temps...Feed.......

Hard to help without all information.......

Cheers!

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree with those above. Make sure that she is drinking and eating normally. Check to see if she can move both legs and wings normally. She may be injured, but dehydration or illness can cause those symptoms. Was she vaccinated for Mareks, and have you seen any other illnesses in your flock?

7. PeacockJoJo

PeacockJoJo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2014
    Likely avian botulism if she has had access to worms, especially if it has been rainy. Easy fix, Epsom salt water, fairly high concentration. My other guess would be mold poisoning.

8. pedoodle

pedoodle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2013
    Stockton, California
    I am currently treating a pullet for the same symptoms. Found worms in the poop which led me to suspect a severe Vitamin E loss. I found a home remedy that seems to be working! I mixed together plain yogurt(probiotics), avocado oil(vitamin E), fresh ground Brazil nut(selenium), Turmeric( anti-imflamatory and nerve damage restoration). At first I had to hold her beak open and feed her. When she started to peck on her own I added scrambled eggs(protein). It's been two days but she's improving continuously. It was suggested I feed her every thirty minutes but I couldn't, use your own discretion.

9. pedoodle

pedoodle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2013
    Stockton, California
    I forgot to mention electrolytes and apple cider vinegar(with the mother) in the water.

10. PeacockJoJo

PeacockJoJo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2014
    Roundworms? Are they white? Apple Cider Vinegar should work on those, or TSC carries a poultry dewormer. I give ACV to them once a month in their water just as a preventative for internal parasites. If you get the chance put a poop smear under a microscope.... SOOOO COOL! you can see the worm segments and eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by