help - mereks or wry or something else

cmarlowdrive

Chirping
Mar 29, 2016
found hen stumbling around in yard like she is drunk. She is falling over and not able to stand up or balance with her tail up.
How can I help her. My vet is closed for evening. thanks for any and all advice.

Mareks does not usually cause acute severe signs. Separate the hen into a small cage or box, and make sure there is water and food close by. Hopefully you will get more suggestions - hope she does better.

I agree with those above. Make sure that she is drinking and eating normally. Check to see if she can move both legs and wings normally. She may be injured, but dehydration or illness can cause those symptoms. Was she vaccinated for Mareks, and have you seen any other illnesses in your flock?

Likely avian botulism if she has had access to worms, especially if it has been rainy. Easy fix, Epsom salt water, fairly high concentration. My other guess would be mold poisoning.

I am currently treating a pullet for the same symptoms. Found worms in the poop which led me to suspect a severe Vitamin E loss. I found a home remedy that seems to be working! I mixed together plain yogurt(probiotics), avocado oil(vitamin E), fresh ground Brazil nut(selenium), Turmeric( anti-imflamatory and nerve damage restoration). At first I had to hold her beak open and feed her. When she started to peck on her own I added scrambled eggs(protein). It's been two days but she's improving continuously. It was suggested I feed her every thirty minutes but I couldn't, use your own discretion.

Roundworms? Are they white? Apple Cider Vinegar should work on those, or TSC carries a poultry dewormer. I give ACV to them once a month in their water just as a preventative for internal parasites. If you get the chance put a poop smear under a microscope.... SOOOO COOL! you can see the worm segments and eggs.

Back
Top Bottom