help - mereks or wry or something else

I agree with azygous, toxin exposure sounds more likely than Mareks, which usually starts mild and progresses more slowly than what you are seeing. Hopefully your other birds will not be affected.

We all know what it is to loose birds, it happens to the best of chickenkeepers. Hard as it is, to give them a great life while we have them, and let them go when it is time, is the best we can do. .Your concern does you justice.

I am very discouraged right now. I thought keeping chickens would be fun, entertaining and eventually render many eggs. NOT SO. Death is NOT entertaining and I am still purchasing eggs at the grocery store.
My heart hurts for my girls since I don't know what to do for them. I don't have a clue what is going on. Petunia is still alive, but just a limp noodle. I work full time, but, husband is trying to get water and food down her during the day.
I have spent so much money and time trying to make my back yard a chicken resort/haven for my girls. They have done so well up until Thanksgiving when I found Big Booty Betty gone, my first fatality.
I make sure they get the right nutrition and stay safe from predators and weather.
I started the Vitamin E and Selinium last night as well as Epsom salt water. No improvement, just limp noodle, still alive. It is heartbreaking to see them suffering.
I read that they were supposed to pillage through the compost pile to get the bugs. I had no idea the contents of compost pile could kill them. I have blocked off the compost pile for now, until I can get rid of the contents.
The grain I leave in the feeders does not last long enough to get moldy, but I cleaned out the feeders anyway. I read that Merek's takes out the young. My girls are at 38 weeks now.

Thanks again for all great advice.

Feeling helpless in Alabama.
sad.png

I am very discouraged right now.  I thought keeping chickens would be fun, entertaining and eventually render many eggs.  NOT SO.   Death is NOT entertaining and I am still purchasing eggs at the grocery store. 
My heart hurts for my girls since I don't know what to do for them.  I don't have a clue what is going on.   Petunia is still alive, but just a limp noodle.   I work full time, but, husband is trying to get water and food down her during the day. 
I have spent so much money and time trying to make my back yard a chicken resort/haven for my girls.  They have done so well up until Thanksgiving when I found Big Booty Betty gone, my first fatality. 
I make sure they get the right nutrition and stay safe from predators and weather. 
I started the Vitamin E and Selinium last night as well as Epsom salt water.  No improvement, just limp noodle, still alive.  It is heartbreaking to see them suffering.
I read that they were supposed to pillage through the compost pile to get the bugs.  I had no idea the contents of compost pile could kill them.   I have blocked off the compost pile for now, until I can get rid of the contents.
The grain I leave in the feeders does not last long enough to get moldy, but I cleaned out the feeders anyway.   I read that  Merek's takes out the young.  My girls are at 38 weeks now.

When there is some mystery illness affecting a flock, it is very important to get a necropsy done on 1 or 2 birds by the state vet. That way, you can know if it is something like Mareks or botulism or something else. Botulism starts in the feet spreading upward in the spinal cord to wings and then neck, causing paralysis, eventually causing suffocation

I finally got an antibiotic RX for Petunia. She has had several doses and is still alive, as of this morning. I can see how this could be botulism if it starts in the legs and feet.
Looks like a slow and painful death and nothing I can do will help her. Not even antibiotics, but, I have to try.
Right now, I am concerned about the rest of my flock and hope they are not having any symptoms. I have 15 girls left that I am in love with and don't want the same to happen to them.

I have learned so much on this forum and don't want to give up on my new hobby. I am committed to being the best chicken MOM I can be to the rest of my flock. I still have much to learn.

Thanks for the support.

Back
Top Bottom