HELP!!!! MITES!!!!

chickmama320

Songster
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Back Swamp NC
I had noticed some hair/feather loss on my girls, but thought it was just where they were changing from fuzz the feathers. I just looked at them again and there are little "cretures running all over the bold spots. I am assuming they are mites. What do I do??? Could this be why I lost one of my babies yesterday?

Where did your chicks come from ? Were they hatched from one of your hens ?

Mites on little ones is going to be a challenge.

I would get some DE and try this first. Perhaps some one on here knows what you can treat them with with out ill effects.

Problem is once you get them it is hard to disinfect without putting them ALL in a container and isolating them.

How many weeks old are the chicks ? Please try to post a pic of the bald spots.

Quote:
I use Sevin dust! You can buy it at walmart in lawn and Garden section in powder form. It costs about $5 for a bag. I take the chickens and place them in a pan and sprinkle this all over them--under wings, belly, base of tale, nape of neck and rub it in good! I use gloves when doing this...then just place them right back in there pen. I do it again 5-7 days later and usually am rid of them. I also sprinkle DE in their cages and bedding. You can buy this or something like it at your local tractor supply or feed store. I have also heard Adam's flea and tick spray works, but would worry of chilling my chicken, so that's why I like the powder form. Just try not to get it in there eyes. I have used this on chicks before as well(very carefully) and had no problems. Yes, mites can kill a chicken or chicks...they are clear, but turn red because that means they are full of your chicken's blood! So, get to dustin'!!!
wink.png

When I was at my feed store a few weeks ago the guy told me he is having a hard time getting food grade DE. I will call them again today and ask.

They are about 3.5 weeks old. I've had them for two weeks. I got them from a local guy that has tons of chickies.... now I'm wishing that I didn't get them from him
sad.png
So have they had them this whole time and are just multiplying on my little girls? They have been outside twice so maybe that's how they got them.

From what I understand they are not contagious to me, my son, or my cats and dogs right?????

24194_photo_82.jpg

24194_photo_84.jpg

One of the books I have on chicken raising said to use 5% malathion dust and I have done so on a couple of occasions but only on full grown chickens. Not sure about using it on little ones. Sevin Dust can cause birth defects so DO NOT INHALE IT if you are or are thinking about becoming pregnant...use a mask. Food grade DE is your best bet I think if it will work fast enough. I put it in my coop and all over the roosting bars as well.
fl.gif

Please don't use insecticides. It will not necessarily kill your chickens but it is hard on them There is a product you can get a Petco or Petsmart call Scalex, It is made with Pyrethrins which is derived from flowers. It is a natural substance and does a great job. It is a spray and it stops them in the tracks. Your can use it on the bedding too but I would most likely use Sevin under the bedding and Scalex directly on the bird. Many people use Sevin 5% directly on their birds but if you have anyother option it is so much better to use it.

I also use Frontline spray for dogs and cats.. 6-9 drops on the neck and around, not on the vent area. It has a residual effect and in most cases does not need to be applied every month but rather several months between treatment.

I just got back from the feed store. The product I got is pyrethrin based. I'm a little worried about it because pyrethrin isn't safe for cats and I have four of them.... but they girls are locked up so the cats can't get to them. IMMEDIATELY the mites were dying. The were coming out from the fuzz and feathers and dying on top of the feathers. I swear I could hear them screaming "OH NO!!!!" (There was definately some noise that I heard.) I also sprinkle the dust all over the bedding which I will change out later today. Will they just eat all the dead mites off of themselves/each other.

Okay now they have me worried... they are freaking out. They have gotten very loud and all of a sudden they will act like something is bitting them on there backside.

Pyrethrin is about as safe a product as you can get other than food grade DE. They are probably freaking out because the spray has the mites irritated and more active. Stay with it, all will calm down.

Adams spray is pyrethrins and piperonyl. Personally, I would not go to Sevin unless these products failed.

You do know you have to spray again to kill the remaining eggs after they hatch, right? 10-14 days, is what people say.

I have never found food grade DE in a store; have to buy it online. Prices vary. Also called fossil flour.

Back
Top Bottom