Help! Momma got off eggs!

Sitbaby112

In the Brooder
May 16, 2021
Hello! Help!!

Our hen has been broody for 8 days. Yesterday, on day 7, we realized she moved to a new nesting box and left her clutch. We think she probably got off to do her business and when she went back another hen was on her eggs so she found a new box. By the time we realized what happened her eggs were cold. So, we moved her to our brooder coop last night (along with her clutch). She sat immediately but then this am she was pacing and her eggs were cold again. I let her out and she ran back to her initial nesting box and is waiting to be able to sit again. She fluffs up when I go in and is definitely still broody. Here are my questions:
1) Do I return her eggs to her even though they are cold (how long can she be off with them still being viable)?
2) Should I allow her to start all over?
3) Do I allow her to stay in the main coop?
What would you all do?
** we have an electric fence around our coop in to allow free ranging. The brooder is inside the fence where she can still see the main flock. She obviously has her own water and food in the brooder but prefers the main coop.

You can try and graft her onto a nest in a more suitable place by shutting her in to it and only letting her out once a day for a quick break.

I've always managed to do this, even when they get confused at the end of breaktime and head back to the usual nesting box. Because I'm there waiting for them and move them straight back and lock them in. You have to be ON IT!

Back
Top Bottom