HELP! My 2 year old hen Easter Egger just found dead in the coop!

The_Silkie_Farm

Songster
Apr 26, 2019
Cypress, Texas
My Coop
My Coop
HELP! My 2 year old hen Easter Egger just found dead in the coop! What do you think may have caused this, heat exhaustion? It’s 102 hear in Houston however, I have plenty of water available and none of the other chickens show signs of distress… Any ideas?

HELP! My 2 year old hen Easter Egger just found dead in the coop! What do you think may have caused this, heat exhaustion? It’s 102 hear in Houston however, I have plenty of water available and none of the other chickens show signs of distress… Any ideas?
Did she seem lethargic the day before?

Sorry for your loss. The only definitive way to determine the cause of death would be to send her to your state lab for a necropsy.

Has she had an difficulty laying lately? Brittle shells, weird eggs? Reproductive problems can be sneaky killers.
Thanks for your response, no she hasn’t. I’m aware of the necropsy but it’s also at least $75 to send off and get results 😬… just wondering if I should treat the rest of the flock in that particular coop or not?

Thanks for your response, no she hasn’t. I’m aware of the necropsy but it’s also at least $75 to send off and get results 😬… just wondering if I should treat the rest of the flock in that particular coop or not?
If she was fine before I don’t think you should worry about treating the flock. Just replace the shavings and area she died I guess. It happens sometimes

I appreciate your concern about the rest of your flock...but without understanding the cause of her demise, and if there are no other birds showing symptoms, what would you be treating?

If this were my flock, I would not begin any treatment at this point, except to perhaps offer electrolytes in case the chickens are experiencing heat stress without showing obvious signs. Best of luck!

With that kind of heat it could have been heat stress. Shallow pans of cool water in the shade to stand in and drink are helpful. If she was in the coop, when you found her, it is probably much warmer in there. I put a fan on the far end of my coop pointing outside, and have 4 windows and the door open to provide ventilation. Shade is very important for chickens. Heavy weight chickens or overweight chickens seem to have more problems with heat stress. If you feed a lot of treats, I would just give them layer feed or all flock feed, so they stay slender. Right now you may want to look over everyone for open mouth breathing and holding their wings out from their bodies. Cool any overheated birds with cool, not icy cold water. Change your waterers twice a day ro make sure they have cool water in the evening before going to roost. Sorry for your loss.

So sorry..I grew up in Spring Branch, marching band, wool uniforms, fuzzy hats equals heat stroke. I live in Utah now, single digit humidity, much easier to raise chickens..so sorry for your loss!

It definitely could have been the heat. I lost a pullet to the heat also. On hot days I now go out a few times a day and splash some cool water under their wings if they look too hot. Actually, they all kind of line up waiting for their turn because they enjoy the cool water. I also mist the ground some to give them some cool dirt to lay in. Freeze ice blocks if you can and set it them out as it begins to get hot. They'll sip from it and stand in it to cool down. Sorry about the loss. Heat is horrible. We get to 120 on our hot days. It's brutal.

Also, fans if you can. We have 2 in the run under our shade we built and one big fan in the coop.

Here portable swamp coolers work great..I can cool the coop by turning it on from noon or so until they roost, then it always goes down (except a few weeks midsummer) to at least 70 at night. I can also spray water under the coop, they can walk on the cool damp earth, and later scratch out damp cool spots. I also ran a mister in the run when we ran up to 106-107..and made sure their water was cool..

Back
Top Bottom