HELP! My 4 week old chicks are pecking me

twist

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 25, 2013
Hello,

We had a dozen Road Island Reds hatch on December 27, 2012, and now they are pecking you everytime you feed, water, and/or handle them. Can someone please tell me how to stop them from pecking. I have raised a lot of chicks, but never had them peck me before. However, my chicks have always been bought, but this time we hatched them ourselves.

Thanks,
Twist

Chickens peck, its what they do :) I've noticed lots of people say RIR can tend to be on the aggressive side (never had them, so I not speaking from experience here). But, I've had lots of chicks peck me. They do it when they get excited bc they've figured out that I bring the food and treats, or if I've startled them, ect. Give them a while and see if they get over it is my only advice. Good luck!
Nikki

Pecking is the only way a chick has to get feedback information about its world. If you put a sheet of white copy paper with a single dot or period on it in the brooder, newly hatched chicks will repeatedly peck the period or dot just to find out if its good to eat.

When they peck you they are tying to see how good you taste. Better not fall asleep in the pen.
wink.png

Do you wear jewelry? Could they be hungry? My chicks don't peck me unless I mess with them when they are sleeping, and sometimes to try and eat my rings, or anything I have in my hands...so perhaps they are hungry, or you have something shiny on.

My PR's went through a stage at about three to four months when they wanted to peck me and acted afraid. After they started laying they all quieted down and are reasonably tame. They all started picking on one and now she will peck me if given the chance but none of the others are at all aggressive. Sometimes picking them up when they peck and holding them will help.

Last edited:
If it's a challenging peck (you'll be able to tell because they will stand really tall, and when they have neck feathers they will flare them out) then you can take your index finger and "peck" them on the top of the head until they back down. Usually it only takes once, but I once had a stubborn girl that took 4 times to get the picture.

If it is just them gathering around you and pecking your hand when you reach in, then they are looking for treats or just checking you out. Chickens use their beaks to investigate things.

Back
Top Bottom