HELP! My 7-week old EE girls won't get out of the rain!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Suzy W, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Suzy W

Suzy W Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2009
    We have had torrential rains here, and Brownie, Dolores, Sunshine just hunker down in a pile under the elements and won't run for cover. Will they figure this out? They have been put outside during the day and brought inside at night. This weekend we are planning to put them outside permanently. Only problem is: they won't seek shelter. They have constant access to the coop but won't go in and roost there preferring to huddle together in the run. When they get wet enough or chilled enough will they venture in? I'm a newbie, so I don't know how to proceed.

Thanks, Suzy

2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    When you look at the size of a chicken's head, and think about what their brain capacity is, this shouldn't surprise you. Mine do the same thing: just stand in the run and look bedraggled. I haven't had any of them drown in the rain yet, but many of them don't seem to have the good sense to find shelter, even when it is close at hand. I guess the only thing you could do is shut them up in the coop.

3. RuffledFeathers

RuffledFeathers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Issaquah, WA
    We live in Seattle, and our chickens are in the rain all the time! They get muddy and disgusting and there are lots of places to get out of the elements- we have a big open greenhouse, and half of the run is covered, they can go under the coop, too. BUT, they choose not too. And they seem just fine. I make sure the sleeping quarters are nice and dry, and well ventilated, as they steam off all that moisture at night. Even my white cochin manages to get all that mud off somehow.
    Just provide a safe covered place and stash their food under it, and maybe they will get it eventually.

4. Suzy W

Suzy W Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks for your thoughts! I ended up putting the food in the coop this morning, not underneath it. Hopefully they'll explore it more and find out how dry and cozy it can be compared to damp ground. It's hard outsmarting a chicken![​IMG]

5. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Mine do the same thing. Maybe it really doesn't bother them to get wet!

6. mschickychick

mschickychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Mississippi
    My experience was that they didn't figure it out or that I didn't give them enough time. I was concerned because they were piling up in the corner by the wire. A predator could reach them easily plus if they started getting chilled and piled up could the bottom guys get smothered. I would wait until it started getting dark and put them in the coop or whatever shelter you have. They may keep running out. Usually a few times and they stay in. If they flatly refuse to stay in wait until it's a little darker and go back and try it again. That usually works. Some of them get the idea after doing this only one night but they usually get it by the third night. It made me feel better anyway. Good luck.

7. cochinfan

cochinfan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    Doesn't the expression "madder than a wet hen" come from the fact that chickens don't like rain? My guys all get out of the rain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by