Help my 8 month old hen severely injured

Mehran_kou78

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2021
Hi , so she is a lari hen ( fighting breed) these types of chickens are very aggressive and fight alot
Although she is 8 month old she still isn't a full hen because they grow very slowly

I found her after i came back from work with eyes closed (some fluid coming out from one eye)
Her head swollen
And there is a hole on the back of her head
I put some thetracyclin on the wounds but she can't eat nor open eyes , would she survive?
IMG_۲۰۲۲۰۱۲۱_۱۶۱۷۵۱.jpg

IMG_۲۰۲۲۰۱۲۱_۱۶۱۷۵۵.jpg
IMG_۲۰۲۲۰۱۲۱_۱۶۱۷۵۷.jpg
IMG_۲۰۲۲۰۱۲۱_۱۶۱۸۰۳.jpg

Chickens can often recover from severe injuries. Providing her good supportive care will give her the best chance. Is she drinking and eating on her own? Chickens can get dehydrated quickly, so water is especially important. If she isn't drinking, you can get a dropper or a syringe with the needle removed and slowly drip in water. Be careful to ensure that she doesn't choke. Mixing powdered electrolytes into the water will help as well. You may be able to entice her to eat by mixing chicken food with warm water, or provide something else soft like plain yogurt or scrambled eggs. It looks like you've already got her isolated and indoors, which is good. Stressed chickens can get cold easily, so make sure she is somewhere warm and draft-free.

Use an antimicrobial wound spray and clip away any feathers that are getting in the wounds. Her injuries don't look too deep from what I can see in the pictures, hopefully they dry and scab over soon. Keep an eye out for infection. If the wound does get infected, you'll want to consider antibiotics. Since her head and eyes are so swollen, she probably can't see or balance very well, so you will likely need to help her get to her food and water by holding it up to her beak. It will take time for the swelling to go down and for her to start feeling more like herself, so don't be alarmed if this takes a week or two.

Last edited:
In the meantime, you can help prevent injuries like this in your other chickens by ensuring that they have sufficient space to run away if they are getting picked on. I know that fighting breeds are different and I don't have any experience with those, so perhaps someone who knows more about those breeds will chime in.

IMG_۲۰۲۲۰۱۲۱_۱۷۰۳۳۳.jpg

She has an open wound in the back of her head it bleed if i touch it
Should i put tetra and bandage should i keep the bandage or remove it ?

Well ty everyone for replying
She is feeling better now
I feed her some scrampled eggs and she can stand now
IMG_۲۰۲۲۰۱۲۱_۱۷۲۹۱۷.jpg

I've healed a bird with a hole in her head once. I just kept it clean, & moist. For moisture I just applied Non Pain Relieving Triple Antibiotic ointment to it everyday.

The only way I can see my girl getting a hole in her head, was probably she may have got caught between two roosters having a scuffle.

Back
Top Bottom