HELP! My 9 hens have stopped laying! Need advice.

Camilladavisss

Chirping
Dec 12, 2020
So it all started in the late fall right before the week of thanksgiving they slowly stopped laying. My whole flock started molting and they all have their feathers back right now but none of them are laying. The hens I have are Buff Orpington, golden laced Wyandotte, two white leghorns, Easter egger, sapphire gem, sapphire olive egger, and two crevecoeur hens. I have given them scratch grains, dried herbs, protein cat food, and lettuce from the garden but they still seem to not be laying. I let them out of the pen to free range in the afternoon but I just don’t understand why they are not laying. Down in Florida it doesn’t get as cold in the winter months as up north and I know people who live where it’s snowing and they are stilling getting eggs??? Any advice?

Attachments

• 1573CB97-4218-49CE-8F37-8B1D85067A18.jpeg
    1573CB97-4218-49CE-8F37-8B1D85067A18.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
Add a light to your coop as daylight hours are shorter they need allot of light to lay
Personally would not recommend this if you care about your chickens and want them to have healthy lives. They only have a certain number of yolks in their ovaries, and if you push them through the winter they will lay for much less time in their lives. They work super hard to make eggs, so I like to let them have their vacation.

Put a light in the hen house for about 4 hours. I recommend a timer for the light to go on 4 hours before sunrise in the winter time. If you add it at night they will not find their roosts.It mimics the summer hours of sunlight. Your chickens need around 14 hours of sunlight for normal laying. In a couple weeks they will start laying and they will lay all winter!

Some chickens lay through the winter, some don't. It's not because of the temperature, but shorter days. If they all seem happy and healthy, they're probably just taking a break for the winter.
Ok thanks is it normal for all,of them to take a break?

Provide either laying feed or an all flock ration with oyster shell on the side. If elderly birds, they may not lay until day light period increases.

Back
Top Bottom