HELP!!!!My babies are dieing!!!!!

mom2many

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
I have had them for about a month now and they have been doing great! Then yesterday I came home to a dead baby
sad.png
Today I woke up and another one is not doing well. She is laying on her side and calling for help. I have let the older one outside with the bigger chickens and ducks but they were not very nice to her and I brought her back in. A few days later we had death one and now death two looks like it may be imminent. Her gullet seems to be completely empty. I took her to the water and she drank and drank. Now she is full-ish of water but still wont eat not even if I offer her treats!! She seems to have perked up a little with the water but what else can I do?
The other living chick seems to be running around okay but it keeps going back to the warming light like it cant get warm... (perhaps she is also on a downward spiral?) She doesn't seem to be interested much in food or water either. She also just pooed and it was very thick and sticky and had an odd reddish color to it. I dont know if this is normal for them as they get older but so far this has not been normal for her.

It could be coccidais. Hopefully someone can help. I heard it's best to treat with Corrid.

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

If I understand correctly you have them in with older chickens? They might not be getting enough to eat. You might want to look up the Poo chart to see if that helps you in any way. Red thick poo doesn't help me much although red blood can indicate cociliousis as the other person said. Not sure where you are but are your month olds completely feathered out? Good luck.

Quote:
Thanks sooooo much I looked it up and ran to the store. She seems to be doing MUCH better since she has taken the medication!!! Fingers crossed and praying for a miracle! But today you may have been the answer to my prayers. Thank you so much for your quick response!!!!!

Quote:
I had them with the older 2 ladies but they were not being nice! So I made them their own area it still has the brooder light but it has way more than enough space for them to be able to get all the way away from the heat. They usually stay away from it but since they have become sick they just lay oddly under the light? I'll look at the poo chart... I will have to see if I can find it first. Would you happen to have the link for it? I am still new to the byc's
wink.png

Quote:
I didn't see that at the store? They had antibiotics, electrolytes and a vitamin supplement that you add to their water. Where would I get that? (Iowa) The feed and seed didn't have it either

You buy Polyvisol at the regular pharmacy. It is a liquid vitamin supplement for human infants.

I have read some things about not giving it when you're feeding medicated chick starter (antibiotics) though. I am far from an expert though, so please don't take my word for it. Check with one of the old hands around here. If you really think it's coccidia and are treating for that and seeing improvement, I'm not sure I'd do the vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom