Help! My baby chick just hatched and the mother isn't accepting it, she keeps attacking the poor baby!

Rumple

In the Brooder
May 9, 2022
Hi all, my baby chick has just hatched after a lengthy 27 days and I was very pleased to find this out, however the second my broody mother sees this, she attacks her own baby! Help is needed ASAP!

Hi all, my baby chick has just hatched after a lengthy 27 days and I was very pleased to find this out, however the second my broody mother sees this, she attacks her own baby! Help is needed ASAP!
Oh goodness I am sorry this is happening! It does on occasion can you remove the chick and put it in a brooder? I am sure others here may have some other helpful answers for you! I will be hoping for the best for you and your little chick!

Oh goodness I am sorry this is happening! It does on occasion can you remove the chick and put it in a brooder? I am sure others here may have some other helpful answers for you! I will be hoping for the best for you and your little chick!
What do you mean by a brooder?

I agree it needs to be moved into a brooder. Are there other chicks or just the one? Chicks need company so if there are others I would move at least one with the one being attacked. If not then you could get some local day olds to keep it company.

Yes a brooder is an enclosure that is safe from predators and has a heat source and has food and water that are easily accessible for the little chick. You need to remove the chick from the mother ASAP so she doesn’t kill it. How old is the he. That hatched it? Is this her first time?

Yes a brooder is an enclosure that is safe from predators and has a heat source and has food and water that are easily accessible for the little chick. You need to remove the chick from the mother ASAP so she doesn’t kill it. How old is the he. That hatched it? Is this her first time?
I believe this is the mother's first time having chicks, the other two did not make it. We are not sure how old the hen is.

What do you mean by a brooder?
I use a large storage box that is a thick material its black with a yellow lid (you can find them at places like Lowes) I don't use the lid and use a heat lamp That has a cage over the bulb and a clamp that I clamp to the edge of the box (tractor supply or other feed stores will have these I am sure Lowes or Home depot would as well) I put some shavings in it and a little feeder and waterer this will usually work till they can go outside. we keep it in our shop I don't know your situation but there are many ways to make brooders some people have them in there barns or other areas of their properties. I have raised many chicks successfully this way. I do agree with others that the chick will need a little friend so if it an only chick you can probably get a day old chick from a feed store or a local farmer so it has a friend. I hope this helps!

Warmth is the most important thing right now so I’d hold it cupped in my hands while the brooder is being set up if you have someone to help you as leaving it with the hen is very risky. I’ve even held chicks in one hand while working with the other. If you live somewhere quite hot right now then it may be ok in a cardboard box in a safe area for a short time. A brooder can be easily set up with items from feed or hardware stores if you don’t have what you need at home. The examples given are spot on. Doesn’t need to be expensive or fancy just safe and warm.

Warmth is the most important thing right now so I’d hold it cupped in my hands while the brooder is being set up if you have someone to help you as leaving it with the hen is very risky. I’ve even held chicks in one hand while working with the other. If you live somewhere quite hot right now then it may be ok in a cardboard box in a safe area for a short time. A brooder can be easily set up with items from feed or hardware stores if you don’t have what you need at home. The examples given are spot on. Doesn’t need to be expensive or fancy just safe and warm.
Thank you all for the advice, I've put the baby chick in a brooder and they seem to be getting along fine, once again thank you!

Back
Top Bottom