HELP MY BABY CHICKS LEG IS PURPLE AND SWOLLEN!! :o

Hannahloveshens

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2015
Yesterday morning I went down to my chicks and my porcelain booted bantam chick was limping I picked her up and examined her and one of her legs on the joint is swollen and purple, I think it is badly bruised but not sure she is eating and drinking but keeping her foot up by her stomach she can move it and clenches her foot around my finger when I put it near, I have separated her into a different box and have been bathing her leg in Epsom salts, we cannot take her to the vet as there is no poultry vets for miles what should I do ! The swelling is quite hard but she doesn't bother when I touch it many thanks hannahloveshens

Here are some pics

Are these hatchery chicks? If so, check the leg for a band! Some hatcheries band different breeds for identification.

I learned today that bands CAN slip past the hock, up the leg, and hide there under fluff and feathers, causing pain, irritation, and swelling, as they slowly cut off the circulation...

I am dealing with a hen at this very moment that I just purchased a few days ago, whose band moved up the leg, and her leg was cut through all the way around to the bone.

Other than that, maybe she pulled a tendon, or a muscle, or twisted the hock somehow (joint).
I do hope she gets better for you!

Back
Top Bottom