HELP! My bantam hen can hardly walk.

I will try the sling and see if shes ok with it, I had to do it with one of my other chickens so I know how to do it

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-24_18-54-3.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-24_18-54-3.jpeg
    10.5 KB · Views: 9
she is about a year old, I have had her for about 8 months, here is the link to the YouTube video.
and the ticks we have don't stay on the bird they only eat at night but she does have a little bit of poultry lice but they are very slow and bout to do die. most of the lice we have successfully killed. I am also doing regular DE dusting's and her cage is coated with DE.

so she was not eating almost anything and wasn't interested in anything except black oil sunflower seeds so she has a bowl of those that she's eating on.
It's hard to know if the ticks have caused her symptoms or if she's suffering from Marek's.
I would still treat the coop/run and birds with a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust. While the adults may live off the bird, the larvae can live on the bird for 2-7 days feeding off the bird. Getting rid of them would be very important. They can cause similar symptoms that you see.
I would encourage her to eat her normal feed. Try it wet or entice her with a little chopped egg. Sunflower seeds are o.k. in very small amounts, they are quite fatty.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/ectoparasites/fowl-ticks
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/poultry-ticks.48763/

OK so I have been giving her some homeopathic and mineral supplements as well as a lot of electrolytes, she has improved she even started squawking every now and again and when I get into her cage she tries to run, she likes the sling so we try to keep her in there as much as possible. We have dusted her with seven dust. but she is shacking her head like shes trying to shaking bugs out of her ears, how do we get the bugs out of her ears.

Have you looked inside her ears?
Were you able to find vitamin E and B-Complex?

If you dusted her, then for the most part that should take care of bugs. Shaking the head can be part of a neurological problem.
yes I was able to get her on it almost immediately and I have look in her ears, I'm pretty sure what I saw were bugs. I also mixed my parrots food into her mush for more protein and nutrition.

yes I was able to get her on it almost immediately and I have look in her ears, I'm pretty sure what I saw were bugs. I also mixed my parrots food into her mush for more protein and nutrition.
I would get someone to hold her while you take a good look in the ears for the bugs. It may be infection(?)
If there are mites in there, put 1 drop of Peroxide in each ear (only 1 drop!). Hopefully that will kill what's in there.

I watched the video, and it occurred to me that she may have a hip/back injury, too. I couldn't tell what she was doing with her legs when you got her to move, but it looked like she was holding them up to her body, and "walking" on her hocks (what most people call their knees, but which are really their heels - the entire area covered in scales is their "foot" if you compare the anatomy to ours). It still could be Marek's, too. However, I'd suggest what was already mentioned earlier (and I forgot all about mentioning, myself ), that you get some B vitamins and vitamin E in her, however you can.

Back
Top Bottom