Help, my beautiful Black Australorp is limping

Gardenerd1

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 16, 2012
I discovered yesterday that Biddy is limping. She's about a year old and up until yesterday was still laying (our trooper). Now she's holding her left leg up and while she tries to scratch with it, she can't put weight on it and sits down when she tries. She slept in the egg box instead of her perch on day 1 (I know because I found poop in the box) but this morning I found her on the perch with her bad leg hanging down. I helped her off the perch, but then she slid uncontrolled down the ramp and didn't get up when she hit the bottom.

I've inspected the foot, no sign of swelling or injury. I felt all up the leg and found no sign of swelling or injury, but I'm not exactly sure what to look for. She didn't flinch when I touched her. She has a red patch of skin on her under belly, but I assume it's from having to sit so much. She is eating and hops around, flapping her wing to help her move.

Is there a way to tell if she dislocated her leg? Is there anyone in the Mar Vista/Venice Beach area who has experience with this? I'm at a loss for what to do.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I'm posting this to LA urban chicken enthusiasts too.

Christy

Back
Top Bottom