Help! My birds are dying quickly!

I finished it up and moved them over. They still are throwing up alot. Poor things, makes me sad for them since i know they are not feeling well.

My heart goes out to you I live in South Jersey we had a lot of rain this year so far and trying to keep the loft dry is very important I lost a very healthy bird one day and dead the next. I keep a small flock so if I lose one or two birds it's a great deal, I couldent amagine your lose! What I did was keep the loft dry or at least where they might feed on the floor I put straw down on the decking this way the wet floor stays on the semi dry floor with straw the birds will not be in direct contact with the wet floor the worst thing is wet guano it's what spreeds the worst thing for any loft it's what parasites love and if there on that wet it won't take long before you have problems. Put the feed and water on a hanger to keep the bugs and stuff from getting to it, a nice layer of straw so they don't walk on the wet floor and clean, clean, clean it's the only way to play it oh make sure you clean and dry the floor with kitty litter, you have to get that wet out then use the straw and I use garlic and Apple vinager evry other day and keep it dry as best you can and get that new loft up and running.
Good luck!
Crzytrkr

Ive never heard of asperguillus, ill have to read up on it.
I was thinking maybe salmonella, but i dont know how they wouldve gotten it in the first place if no other animals or rodents have ever entered the loft. And the death rate is too quick, this morning i had 3 more die.:barnie:he:hit

Any chance of getting a necropsy done? Perhaps through a university vet school?

Just so weird. Chickens vomiting I’ve never heard of such a thing.
They are pigeons.:)

I live about 25 minutes from a large university, maybe i can ask there.

I think i may know whats going on, tonight when i went outside there were some huge mosquitoes! I think what is happening is my birds got sick from the weather, and the mosquitoes are just eating them up, thats probably why they are so anemic too! Ill have yo spray down the new loft and the birds with some spray to keep those nasty bugs away.

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory - Amarillo (Branch)
6610 Amarillo Blvd West
Amarillo, Texas 79106-1706
Phone: 806-353-7478

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory - Center (Branch)
635 Malone Dr
Center, Texas 75935-3530
Phone: 936-598-4451

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (Main)
483 Agronomy Road
College Station, Texas 77840
Phone: 979-845-3414

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory – Gonzales (Branch)
1162 East Sarah DeWitt Drive
Gonzales, Texas 78629
Phone: 830-672-2834

Texas Animal Health Commission State-Federal Laboratory
8200 Cameron Road, Suite A186
Austin, Texas 78754-3832
Phone: 512-832-6580

So sorry you are going through this.

I had a similar experience with my birds... I lost about 40 birds and was left with only 8.

They stopped eating, stopped doing anything, stood in one place, had water in their crops and were vomiting the slimy water. They got paralysis and died within 24 hours of showing symptoms.

At the same time I also lost all my chicken flock of over 50 fancy bantam breeds, and several of my parakeets.

I gave them all different antibiotics and other treatments. No help. Some were isolated, some given heat, nothing helped at all.

Only way you will know for sure about the disease is if you send birds for autopsy. But, most birds carry all the more common virus and bacteria anyway and don't show symptoms until they are stressed by something, like the wet weather or a retro virus.

In my case I found out it was an 'officially' an outbreak of bird cholera. All over our region farms lost thousands of ducks and chickens, and dead birds of other species were found dead. But I suspected the real disease was an outbreak of a strain of avian flu, but the authorities did not want to let people know about that. I doubted the official explanation as my pigeon were confined to the coop and covered aviary and had no access to any water outside, and the coop was 100 percent rodent proof too, but mosquitos could get in.

All my birds were in perfect health before, and all were in roomy clean pens... and the chickens were free range and roosted in trees, so I know I did nothing wrong. I nearly gave up the hobby then after that traumatic experience.

I would advise you to move you healthy birds to a new coop.... which is dry and not overcrowded. Change the feed in case its contaminated, and give them all an antibiotic for a week or so. I would say get some to a vet, but I know avian vest are hard to find and super expensive!!!

Wish you good luck.

Back
Top Bottom