Help my broody hens

tlynnus

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2019
So 2 of my 26 hens are currently broody. They are both reliable mothers, they have each hatched 2 clutches of eggs each year for the past three years. The problem that I have is that I think that I have an egg eater in the flock. I gave them each 3 eggs last week and within 3 days they were both missing an egg. I watched and one of the other hens approached the nesting box and pecked one of the mom‘s head and then pecked at the straw in the box. The moms are not at the bottom of the pecking order as far as I can see. They have successfully raised many chicks without any problems. I think I need to figure out a way to separate them from the other chickens. I have 2 coops (accommodates 16 chickens each) inside of a metal roof run that is 30 ft x 20 ft. The run door is open during daylight hours so they can free range. How would you solve this problem?

So 2 of my 26 hens are currently broody. They are both reliable mothers, they have each hatched 2 clutches of eggs each year for the past three years. The problem that I have is that I think that I have an egg eater in the flock. I gave them each 3 eggs last week and within 3 days they were both missing an egg. I watched and one of the other hens approached the nesting box and pecked one of the mom‘s head and then pecked at the straw in the box. The moms are not at the bottom of the pecking order as far as I can see. They have successfully raised many chicks without any problems. I think I need to figure out a way to separate them from the other chickens. I have 2 coops (accommodates 16 chickens each) inside of a metal roof run that is 30 ft x 20 ft. The run door is open during daylight hours so they can free range. How would you solve this problem?

I would think you would probably some shell or raw egg residue left if you have an egg-eater. My first thought is that you could have a problem of the reptile eating the eggs.

I would think you would probably some shell or raw egg residue left if you have an egg-eater. My first thought is that you could have a problem of the reptile eating the eggs.
There has been residual shell and yolk. I don’t think it is the moms because I have noticed that occasionally for several months if I leave eggs sit there too long

Back
Top Bottom