HELP! My CCL roo has strange discoloring on his comb.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Coop de Grass, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Coop de Grass

Coop de Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

My roo has new discoloration on his comb.I suspect frostbite but have never seen it like this. He is 1 1/2 years old and this is the first time I've seen anything at all on his comb, What do I do?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

It looks like frostbite damage to me, too. There are many recommendations for treating and preventing frostbite, like applying petroleum jelly, or Bag Balm - more info in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/122312/frostbitten-comb-help.

I have a rooster with a very large comb that's prone to frostbite, too. Making sure the ventilation in the coop is sufficient is important; the frostbite can result from a build up of moisture. My rooster liked to roost near a window, and I didn't realize how much of a draft was leaking in around and through the window until I checked it (I ended up covering it in clear plastic mil for the winter). Here's a link from the previously-mentioned thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.

Hope his comb heals soon!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. Coop de Grass

Quote:
    Quote:Thank you!!! I have bag balm, so I will try that and hope for the best. Then I'll come back and read all the links. It hasn't been damp in the coop, but I think that there may be some air leaking in where I covered the windows with wood...

5. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

6. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Chillin' With My Peeps

My little Pullet has he same thing!But mine is more black.Im using bag balm thought its going to fall off.

7. Coop de Grass

My Bielefelder Roo has the black on the tips of his comb, but nothing like the Crested Cream Legbar. I gave him a coating of Bag Balm as well - I have it in the house for my fingers which crack in the cold. Kaiser looked like he was wearing earrings because he got wood flakes on his wattles!

I am still trying to figure out ventilation vs drafts, but hopefully I will have nailed it by tomorrow when the freezing temps return.

8. Coop de Grass

[​IMG] I'm sorry to hear about your pullet. What breed is she? Does she have a large comb, I have a Silver Lace Wyandotte with a flat pea comb and she has a couple of small black marks on it.

Perhaps you can post a photo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by