Help! My chick is bleeding from the head after being pecked at!

Verlara8376

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2020
Our chicks were born in June and have been fine since then. Today I found that one of my chicks was pecked at on the head badly. I assume it was one of my other chicks because they had a little blood in their beaks. I don’t know how to heal the wound, and the chick has been very sleepy. I’m afraid that she won’t make it. Anything I can do to heal the wound? I have her separated from the others and her mom. Her skin is raw in her head and there is no scabbing yet. Help!!!

You could try to and use hydrogen peroxide. Using stuff that is intended for humans on animals is a little controversial, but I have done it and healed them quite well and fast. I have a spray hydrogen peroxide bottle that I got from CVS. I usually spray once or twice and just let the natural process happen. Their "battle scars" were never too bad, but it's just what I use and quite honestly what I would use for that chick.
As far as the chick, do not place it anywhere with chicks/chickens unless it is isolated. Chickens become cannibalistic when they see blood on each other and will peck each other to death; you're quite lucky it was alive when you found it! I hope this advice helps. I hope your chick heals swiftly!

I agree with the above. You can also then apply some neosporin ointment with a cotton swab. Just make sure it does not have the pain relief in it, novacane & lidocane are poisonous to birds. Good luck and hope your little one heals up quickly.

I agree with the above. You can also then apply some neosporin ointment with a cotton swab. Just make sure it does not have the pain relief in it, novacane & lidocane are poisonous to birds. Good luck and hope your little one heals up quickly.
Ok I will look into that. It looks like she has come out of her shock this morning after she went to sleep. I put on some Blue Kote for less pecking and she is isolated but I will try to get some neosporin. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom