I had a chick do that for several days.. I would just hold her in a sitting position a few times a day and eventually, 4days later, she finally found her footing and finally started to walk... While she kicked around on her side, I would sprinkle feed on the floor
Her neck is very bent and she won’t straighten it. I’m not sure what to do about that. I have her in the sock in the cup but her legs aren’t straight because it’s not big enough. She will just pull her leg up to her body. She can only stay in that position in the cup, if I take her out she rolls on her back and starts chirping really loudly in distress. She’s still in the incubator because she’s not fluffy yet. I’m really out of my depth she’s my third chick to hatch ever.

That's what mine did too.. Really loud, bent neck, kicking and screaming.. I almost culled her, thinkinking she could never walk and straiten her head. the other chicks would step all over her and she couldnt move herself in/out of the heat lamp, I feared she would get under the heat lamp and not be able to move away from it and just cook her herself.. She would just kick and scream in circles.. I would have to lean her up to the water dish for a drink and sprinkle food around her.. But she finally pushed thru, and finally learned to balance and be on her feet.. But boy was that taking forever.. While her chick mates were running around

That's what mine did too.. Really loud, bent neck, kicking and screaming.. I almost culled her, thinkinking she could never walk and straiten her head. the other chicks would step all over her and she couldnt move herself in/out of the heat lamp, I feared she would get under the heat lamp and not be able to move away from it and just cook her herself.. She would just kick and scream in circles.. I would have to lean her up to the water dish for a drink and sprinkle food around her.. But she finally pushed thru, and finally learned to balance and be on her feet.. But boy was that taking forever.. While her chick mates were running around
Thank you. You’ve reassured me she will be ok. Last night I put her in a sock in a lunch box and this morning she was out of the sock and is now stumbling around the place. She’s still drying off in the incubator. I’m giving her water every hour and hoping I can move her out in a few hours into the brooder when she’s fluffy.

Thank you. You’ve reassured me she will be ok. Last night I put her in a sock in a lunch box and this morning she was out of the sock and is now stumbling around the place. She’s still drying off in the incubator. I’m giving her water every hour and hoping I can move her out in a few hours into the brooder when she’s fluffy.
That is awesome... I know that is scary when they dont get their footing as fast as others, I always lean to the tragic sight, but now I know, just wait... Sometimes days. So unless I see actual deformities, I just let them be, and just encourage proper standing and position. I had one hatch, missing a wing.. They need the 2 wings to get up and balance, so that was tough.

That is awesome... I know that is scary when they dont get their footing as fast as others, I always lean to the tragic sight, but now I know, just wait... Sometimes days. So unless I see actual deformities, I just let them be, and just encourage proper standing and position. I had one hatch, missing a wing.. They need the 2 wings to get up and balance, so that was tough.
Thank you so much for that information. It is so scary. I was so worried she’d never walked so I’m delighted to see her up and about today. She’s still a little shakey on her feet but she’s able to move about by herself now. The umbilical chord is still dried to her belly and hanging a bit. Would she be ok to go into the brooder with others while she still has it attached or would they peck at it? She’s also still not completely fluffed up and its about 30hrs since hatching. Does she need to be fully fluffed before going into the brooder?

Are the Nettex Poultry Nutri-drops any good or would I be better just using humans tablets and crushing them up?
I have not used the product, and they are a bit stingy with info. Looks like it's probably good. It doesn't mention vitamin e (check the label). If you have people e you could add to the food, I'd give both. See how they respond.

Back
Top Bottom