Help - my chicken bites me!

alamopokeymom

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 4, 2013
I have two chickens - one if friendly and will let me pet it, the other is nasty and bites me -- is there a way to correct this bad behavior? The biting one is an Americana or Araconda (sp?) with green eggs. The friendly one is a Wyandotte.
Any advice?

My rooster used to bite me. so here is what I did:
every time your chicken bites you give him a push/hit on the side or beak this way the chicken will realize that you are in charge and thus stop biting you

hope this helps

Sorry, but I have never heard of chickens biting, might have to file their teeth ( sorry could not help my self )

Another way to become the alpha is to pick her up take her comb and bend her head until her beak touches her chest. If she resists hold her for awhile until she stops. Hold her for awhile anyway and she will eventually get the picture that you are the alpha. I did this with a rooster and it worked. I also had one that was intent on attacking me from behind and I sent him a couple of times across the yard with my boot and he figured it out too. Don't use an object like a broom because they will associate the broom as the alpha and not you. Just my opinion. Good luck...

I "peck" back when I have a hen grab me when I'm hand feeding them. Put forefinger and middle finger together, then thunk her on the side of the head, saying "No!"

I have a fairly large flock so they get excited at Treat Time when I hand feed them; the pushier gals peck their way to be closest and some grab flesh instead of treats in the frenzy. So I peck whenever any of them peck me. I am at the top of the pecking order.

Most learn from this, but a repeat peck as necessary usually works.

One of my hens used to bite, and I found that the only way I could make her stop was by not reacting at all to her biting, but that didn't work at all for another hen so I'm not sure it'll work for you.

We have a nutty little Splash Sumatra hen who roosts right next to the door of the second coop. So whenever we open the latch to go in, she's right there to peck the snot out of our arms. I've found that simply blowing in her face (she sits about 3 feet up off the ground on the roost) when she makes a move towards me has done wonders! Now when I come in she will grumble and scoot down, away from the door. It's simple, I don't have to stop what I'm doing, I don't have to man-handle her and she gets the message quickly. Just a good strong blow usually does it. At first she tried to come back after the first blow, so I just kept doing it and she hated it! Hahah. Of course, be careful she can't peck your face if you were to try it.

Before this, I did all the physical things like stuffing her under my arm and carrying her around, lowering her head trying to make her submit, and have even resorted to pushing her off the roost when she was on a rampage. Blowing on her has been the quickest, safest and most effective tactic I've used.

Last edited:
I found a good whack with a plastic rake does pretty good. I know it sounds bad, but they get the hint pretty quickly. After coming into the coop with a plastic rake, the third or fourth time, NOONE gives you any problems....lol

My bsl, Ester bites me on my backside when I go into their treats bin. I push her away and scold her but she inevitably manages to get behind me when I'm bent over scooping treats.
I may have to try holding her in one arm while scooping. It doesn't really hurt that much but it's so disrespectful.

Back
Top Bottom